Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

revtech 6 speed, installed, fist thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007 | 09:43 PM
mtdave2
|
Cruiser
Default revtech 6 speed, installed, fist thoughts

Well I finally got the revtech 6 speed in my 94 heritage. Its something that I wanted for many years now. Like most non rubber mount evo owners, I was tired of the dam vibration as soon as I hit 64 mph, after 2 hours at highway speed my whole body was numb, sucked!

For the last 3 weeks I have been working on putting in the trany I got new off ebay. An hour here, hour there when I could. In the process I fixed other things that were needing fixed for a while now, new brakes, brake rotors, new wheel bearing, rear tire, a sweet new round style oil tank, new drive belt, swing arm bearings, rear tire, battery and battery cables….few bolts.. probably some other things in forgetting. Still have to put in the steering head bearings and have the carb tuned…..

So needless to say I was excited to take the ole girl for a test ride. I have read lots of debate back and forth on the revtech 6 speed. My vote? FREAKIN AWSOME! I grinned ever time I dropped her into 6th gear, man its sweet to hear the rpm drop and the vibration to almost go away. I could almost see clear out of my side mirrors! Lol…

At 60 to drop in into 6th is a bit of a short shift, I lugs the motor a bit, I find that when accelerating on to the highway I hit 6th at 75. thou it cruises fine at 65. ill make another post once I ride a bit.

Old 07-16-2007 | 09:51 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Default RE: revtech 6 speed, installed, fist thoughts

Man I'd love to have a 6 speed. Has the Rev Tech's got some bad reviews? Glad you like it and really that's all that matters. Nice looking sidecar rig in your avatar.

Old 07-16-2007 | 11:54 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

Rev-Tech wasgetting bad press for quite some time, however I haven't heard anything lately. I opted for the SE 6 speed in my '03 heritage and it was awesome too. Good luck mtdave2 and enjoy your new tranny.

Old 07-30-2007 | 05:52 PM
mtdave2
|
Cruiser

now that im up and running again, thanks to an oil tank leak, i have had the chance to ride a bit. still loving that 6th gear. the only problem i see, is with me. i keep telling myself just because you have a 6th gear doesnt mean you have to use it!

i keep up shifting when 5th is the gear i should be in, working on it though. i can finaly ride at 70 and not feel like im a vibrator.

Old 08-05-2007 | 10:05 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mtdave2

i keep up shifting when 5th is the gear i should be in, working on it though. i can finaly ride at 70 and not feel like im a vibrator.
My wife actually prefers a vibrator [sm=closed.gif]

Old 08-08-2007 | 01:58 PM
TedCaaw
Intermediate

I had a revtech 6-speed gearset installed on my 01 Fatboy this year and I couldn't be happier with it. It makes highway riding a pleasure. I found myself shifting into 6th too early at first but now I shift at 65 and it drops the rpm to where I like it.
Ted

Old 08-08-2007 | 05:48 PM
mtdave2
|
Cruiser

me too, almost 800 miles on it now, love it! did our first all day ride last weekend. it was awsome not beeing compleatly numb when we got off the bike.

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:51 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not sure what your Revtech 6sp cost you...but for those of you out there that are wanting a 6sp...ULTIMA makes a nice cluster to slide in and it's available through MIDWEST catalogs. If I'm not mistaken, the price is around $700 bucks. My local shop has installed several of these and from what I've heard...great trans...made in AMERICA too!

I went with the Baker DD6 because I got a smokin' deal on Ebay. Got it for less than dealer cost!

Old 08-10-2007 | 02:29 PM
Fatboy931
Cruiser

You can get the entire Ultima six speed for under $700 from Jireh Cycles. I've had mine close to a year and love it. When I put mine in I changed over to a chain drive to get a wider tire on my Fatboy. When I did this I changed the final drive ratio so I can use overdrive ata lower speed. The other reason is most of the six speeds are close ratio boxes so first gear isn't as low as the factory five speed. The close ratio box is great.

Old 08-13-2007 | 09:26 AM
dts
Novice

just installed the ultima 6 speed in my 91 fatboy because I have been shifting into it for 15 years but...I could barly get it going in 1st and topped out at50 mph in 5th,with no power in 6thbecause of the higher gearing I had earlier put on with a rear 65 tooth pully and the 34 tooth I insalled on the 6speed because the stock 32 tooth that originaly came with the bike wouldn't clear the tranny with the spacer that came on the mainshaft,"differnt size isd oilseal".so i started back removing the rear 65 tooth and back to 70 tooth,hoping that would be enough! NOPE! so I took it all apart again repaced the34 tooth pully off main shaft with 32 tooth thinkin ok THAT WILL DO IT! NOPE! still runs like a dog,1st is still a bit of a dog and tops out at about 65-70 mph in 5th still not enough power for 6th....GRRRRRR. ANYONE WITH AN IDEA WHERE I SHOULD GO FROM HERE OTHERE THAN BACK TOP MY 5 SPEED OR ANOTHER BIKE????[:@]

Quick Reply: revtech 6 speed, installed, fist thoughts