Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary Leak...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007 | 11:28 PM
EdGlide
|
Cruiser
Default Primary Leak...

I see a small leak drop after a ride coming from the left screw next to the primary drain bolt. Its actually not coming from the screw but where the outer and the inner cover meets (not talking about the derby). Is there a gasket in there? Should I change it before it gets worse? Is it hard to replace?

It stops after I wipe it. Its not a consistent leak flow. It just emitsone drip after a ride. But its irritating me.

Let me know what I need to do. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2007 | 12:25 PM
EdGlide
|
Cruiser
Default RE: Primary Leak... HELP!

well i think its getting worse... is it difficult to replace a primary gasket???

Old 07-19-2007 | 08:13 PM
Navychief
Road Warrior

Make sure you keep track of where the bolts came out of, the a size specific. Not a huge deal though.

Old 07-26-2007 | 10:58 AM
4x4Given
Tourer

Have a good look with a light and a mirror to make sure it isn't the mainshaft seal on the inner primary cover. Given the cost of the primary gasket and the oil (if you're using synthetic), plus your time, it's worth looking before just replacing the primary cover gasket.

Old 08-12-2007 | 12:27 PM
Tbird
Novice
Default RE: Primary Leak...

I have a '93 Classic and I had a similar problem. I would get a very small puddle under my primary after a ride. I would see drip forming at the primary drain plug and I thought for sure that the drain plug was leaking. I always seen this when I would go for my next ride. I finally checked it again about 20 minutes after a ride and found it was actually coming from the derby cover. (That's why it wasn't a constant drip) I could see it streaming down from the bottom of the cover. I never noticed this before because I never checked it until my next ride and by that time the oil would disapate off of the smooth chrome of the primary. I bought the new gasket for the derby cover (original is a oring) I took the oring out and put the gasket in and it leaked even worse. I put the oring back in and the gasket over it and no leaks yet!! I know you said it was coming frombetween the inner and outer primaries but I just wanted to post this just incase.

Old 08-13-2007 | 07:46 AM
Chrizzby
Road Warrior
Default RE: Primary Leak...

baby powder is an excelent way to find out where it's coming from, just douse it generously with it and you should be able to tell where it's coming from.