Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Quick clutch question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:56 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 787 Likes on 652 Posts
Default Quick clutch question.

Hope this gets an answer before I get off work..

In a nut shell I had my clutch adjusted, because I didn't like the rest lease, since then I have said I have an issue.
I took it back to the person who adjusted it, said no issues, took it to someone else said the same thing.

Now this morning I started the bike in first gear with the clutch engaged and I had pull when it was turning over.
Now in my motorcross years I knew this was an issue.
I still say that I have an issue..

Thoughts

Thank you in advance

Old 06-26-2019, 09:25 AM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 112 Posts

A couple of thoughts.

1. Don't start your bike in gear, especially when cold. The cold primary oil is thick and plates tend to stick together.

2. When you shift from neutral to 1st with the clutch pulled in, does the bike jump forward when warmed up?

3. When you release the clutch when in gear, how far from the handgrip iis the lever before the bike starts to move?

I suspect you are not used to Harleys or their cable actuated clutches and everything is fine since 2 different people inspected it and said it's normal.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:06 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,036 Likes on 4,071 Posts

Originally Posted by REW13
Hope this gets an answer before I get off work..

In a nut shell I had my clutch adjusted, because I didn't like the rest lease, since then I have said I have an issue.
I took it back to the person who adjusted it, said no issues, took it to someone else said the same thing.

Now this morning I started the bike in first gear with the clutch engaged and I had pull when it was turning over.
Now in my motorcross years I knew this was an issue.
I still say that I have an issue..

Thoughts

Thank you in advance
How does your motocross years make the clutch adjustment issue a problem? I'm an old dirt bike rider. Raced mostly enduros and desert (baja 1000 ). I don't kick start bike in gear. In fact on some older bikes you could not kick start unless the clutch was out. Are you talking about dual sports with electric start?

Old 06-27-2019, 08:08 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member

I had kick start too, I could kick start in any gear, first being the best choice obviously. Those bikes never creeped when kick starting, I don't remember my sporty ever doing it either?

It took me a while, but in the searches I did I read something about the oil thickness and clutch plates sticking together being the issue.

Still to me it shouldn't do that.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:36 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Still to me it shouldn't do that.
Harleys just do that when the oil is cold. It is nothing to worry about. It's just something to get used to. I started riding Jap bikes when I was in high school because that's all I could afford. When I got older and was able to afford a Harley I had to re-learn many things because of the different design. I eventually got used to the differences and don't fret over them.

I have seen some guys put automotive transmission fluid in the primary to keep the clutch plates from sticking when cold. The reason I never felt like trying that is because the compensator sprocket is banging back and forth constantly and the ramps could benefit from thicker oil than tranny fluid. I even remember seeing a YouTube video of a guy bragging about how great it was to run tranny fluid in the primary while he was in the process of replacing his worn out compensator sprocket and primary chain adjuster shoe.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:59 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member

Cook
Thanks Hoyt