Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

"07 Ultra Primary oil is full of metal.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:58 PM
gdbro4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "07 Ultra Primary oil is full of metal.

I have an "07 Ultra. I know about the 5th gear rattle, but it's gotten really loud in the last couple hundred miles. All gears seemed to rattle at times, but 5th rattles all the time, and drowns out the stereo. Usually around 2000 RPM's the other gears are worse. All oil levels are good. I decided to change my primary oil and adjust clutch, (1850 miles). The oil came out with silver shiny stuff mixed in with no large pieces. I can see the chain and what appears to be the auto tensioner. The chain has about 5/8" to 3/4" slop. The tensioner appears to be setting all the way down to the bottom of the case.

When I installed the auto adjuster on my '05 Ultra, the chainstayed quite tight. Has anyone experienced a broken tensioner on the '07's? Does this happen a lot or is the adjustment OK? The manual don't give a spec. for the chain. It just says "it will adjust when driven".

Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 PM
genedjr
Road Captain
Default RE: "07 Ultra Primary oil is full of metal.

Your post is not the same as the title, so I am a little confused...

If you primary is full of metal (not gray, but gray and course) then by god stop riding and figure out why. If it is just gray, you have water, not metal. Not as serious but you still need to find out why. Over time it will kill the primary.

...gene

Old 07-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gdbro4

I have an "07 Ultra. I know about the 5th gear rattle, but it's gotten really loud in the last couple hundred miles. All gears seemed to rattle at times, but 5th rattles all the time, and drowns out the stereo. Usually around 2000 RPM's the other gears are worse. All oil levels are good. I decided to change my primary oil and adjust clutch, (1850 miles). The oil came out gray. I can see the chain and what appears to be the auto tensioner. The chain has about 5/8" to 3/4" slop. The tensioner appears to be setting all the way down to the bottom of the case.

When I installed the auto adjuster on my '05 Ultra, the chainstayed quite tight. Has anyone experienced a broken tensioner on the '07's? Does this happen a lot or is the adjustment OK? The manual don't give a spec. for the chain. It just says "it will adjust when driven".
Dude, It's a 07 and under warranty, right? Take it to the dealer and let them foot the bill. I don't get it? [&:]

Old 07-10-2007, 12:55 AM
gdbro4
Cruiser

The oil definately has metal mixed in with it, a very fine silver color, (not really gray), no large pieces. I suspect the chain may be rubbing on case or something.(?)
I AM taking it to the dealer, but I'm so tired of hearing, "it's normal" after they have it for 2 weeks without repairing anything. I've been a tech for 30+ years, and I'm just tired of not getting the same satisfaction from the dealer as I give my own customers. The disappointment factor from the local dealers REALLY SUCKS.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 AM
deuce dude
Road Master

sounds like your tensioner needs to be adjusted....your chain is probably rubbing inside your primary case...i heard that the auto adjusters can stick down when new. i was told its a simple thing to get them to start auto adjusting. take it in...

Old 07-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1889748/tm.htm ?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:00 PM
JLION
Banned

I don't know if I've ever seen a bigger collection of mechanically 'inclined' people who pee their pants so thoroughly before even attempting to have their problem fixed.

Yeah. My '06 has had a few mechanical issues, all of which were fixed under warranty with little or NO hassle by the dealer/service manager.

I've shown up 3 times, unannounced with these mechanical problems and in 2 instances had the bike back and on the road the same day. In the other instance there was a parts issue but considering the problem they were dealing with, I was happy they decided to take the time to get a couple of new parts that were not anticipated.

Sometimes I wonder if this forum is a collection of bikers/riders or old women.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:43 PM
deuce dude
Road Master

what a jerk...i bet you pee your pants when your computer locks up....everyone has strengths and weakneses in different areas...if you dont want to help just keep your trap shut......

ORIGINAL: JLION

I don't know if I've ever seen a bigger collection of mechanically 'inclined' people who pee their pants so thoroughly before even attempting to have their problem fixed.

Yeah. My '06 has had a few mechanical issues, all of which were fixed under warranty with little or NO hassle by the dealer/service manager.

I've shown up 3 times, unannounced with these mechanical problems and in 2 instances had the bike back and on the road the same day. In the other instance there was a parts issue but considering the problem they were dealing with, I was happy they decided to take the time to get a couple of new parts that were not anticipated.

Sometimes I wonder if this forum is a collection of bikers/riders or old women.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:03 PM
JLION
Banned

I find it amazing that people with brand new bikes (some of which don't run) spend time hacking away on their computer rather than getting their sorry *** to the dealer ASAP.

So, if you want to imply someone is a pantywaisted computer geek, you would be better served to direct that criticism towards those who first, complain rather than first, fix. If your definition of 'helping' is to teach people how to fix their (new bike) problems most effeciently and quickly, encouraging them to spend more time on the computer wringing their hands fine. It aint mine.

BTW. Glad to compare mileage and conditions considered acceptable for riding with you anyday. Then we can determine who is the jerk.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I wonder if this forum is a collection of bikers/riders or old women
LoL....Every old women I know is married to a mechanic. I'm not concerned with "inclined" people as much as I am with those who think they can skip the fundamentals (not knowing whatthey don't really know)and still be confused. Blows the theory of "ignorance is bliss" all to hell.

Quick Reply: "07 Ultra Primary oil is full of metal.