Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

"07 Ultra Primary oil is full of metal.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
JLION
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "07 Ultra Primary oil is full of metal.

ORIGINAL: Cynic
Or maybe they've figured out a good portion of the employed H-D techs have the intellect of a malfunctioning compensator sprocket, people who couldn't make ends meet on gas station wages so they figured, hey, I like Harley's, think I'll become a tech. A person's potential for reasoning and critical thinking is always a lot more important than their confidence level any day, even in mechanics.

Example: A good friend who just happens to be a electrical engineer in the computer industry in another town haddouble head gasket failure on his 1998 TransAm LT1 motor from driving with a bad water pump. He didn't think he could fix it because because he has never done any mechanics to speak of before, but I convinced him it had less to do with that than common sense.

I have no gripe with the notion of people working on their own junk, esp if they know what they're doing. I read 'Zen and the Art..." about 30 years ago and some of it stuck. I work on my own stuff whenever it breaks if I have even a vague idea of what needs to be done.

I don't guess, though, that your friend would have torn into a 2008 TransAm. And, hopefully no one would have encouraged him to do so.

And, I too have no real praise for HD techs. One of my problems was almost undoubtedly the result of a half-assed job by one. But anyone who doesn't utilize the warranty for bikes right out of the box is just playing with fire. Complicating the situation by eventually having to admit you tinkered with your bike instead of bringing it straight to them won't be helpful if/when one has a real problem.

And. You never know.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't guess, though, that your friend would have torn into a 2008 TransAm. And, hopefully no one would have encouraged him to do so.
Probably not!

Hey, I've wondered about 'Zen and the Art..."

I know when it comes to myself, and how itmay be cheaper and more convenient to let someone else do it at times, I just remind myself about the free dirt and dingsthat inevitably get included even if the problem was solved.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 PM
JLION
Banned

About all I remember from the book is that no one cares more about your stuff than you do. An Eastern version of, 'if you want something done right, do it yourself'. It may also involve encouraging thoughts to center on the smallest or most minute detail of something in order to understand how something can, or should be done.

Kind of like Kung Fu-lery.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:20 PM
texas tom
Tourer

One reason to buy new(IMO) is you get that warranty,If something is wrong with a vehicle under warranty why mess with it yourself?

Old 07-11-2007, 03:36 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

gdbro4: Pm me when you find out what it was. At least I care since I do my own work.
Ron