Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

"07 Ultra Primary oil is full of metal.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: "07 Ultra Primary oil is full of metal.

ORIGINAL: gdbro4

The oil definately has metal mixed in with it, a very fine silver color, (not really gray), no large pieces. I suspect the chain may be rubbing on case or something.(?)
I AM taking it to the dealer, but I'm so tired of hearing, "it's normal" after they have it for 2 weeks without repairing anything. I've been a tech for 30+ years, and I'm just tired of not getting the same satisfaction from the dealer as I give my own customers. The disappointment factor from the local dealers REALLY SUCKS.
But.................... all I'm going to say is I hope you saved the oil you drained out of the primary?

Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I guess I will jump in.
If my bike was new with a warranty(still is)I certainly would have that bike at the dealership.If they cant fix it then take it to another dealer.
Why change the primary oil at 1850 miles?Was the 1K service done?
If you start phucking around with the bike,the dealer may not cover the repair under warranty.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:05 PM
deuce dude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you bash people for not wrenching and then bash them when they try to fix something....your unbelievable...the guy has obviously been trying to learn and do a little wrenching (which you accuse him of not doing). he's not complaining, he just needs a little info and again if you read my post..i told him the dealer could fix him up. if you dont want to help the guy then just shut your mouth and go somewhere else. oh, and i ride almost everyday and am quite sure i put on way more miles than your lame ***. its funny you completely missed the point of my first post and then made yourself look even stupider by posting again. flame away, thats the last time i wast energy on you.......

ORIGINAL: JLION

I find it amazing that people with brand new bikes (some of which don't run) spend time hacking away on their computer rather than getting their sorry *** to the dealer ASAP.

So, if you want to imply someone is a pantywaisted computer geek, you would be better served to direct that criticism towards those who first, complain rather than first, fix. If your definition of 'helping' is to teach people how to fix their (new bike) problems most effeciently and quickly, encouraging them to spend more time on the computer wringing their hands fine. It aint mine.

BTW. Glad to compare mileage and conditions considered acceptable for riding with you anyday. Then we can determine who is the jerk.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:04 PM
gdbro4
Cruiser

I just wanted to know if anybody has seen this problem, thats all I wanted to know. Sorry for getting everybody in an uproar.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
johnny canuck
Road Captain

Can we just get back to starting another thread on the dreaded 2008s?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:54 AM
deuce dude
Road Master

no, its not your fault....i shouldn't have jumped on him. just ticks me off when someone tries to make a fool of someone trying to ask a simple question. sorry for the trouble....

ORIGINAL: gdbro4

I just wanted to know if anybody has seen this problem, thats all I wanted to know. Sorry for getting everybody in an uproar.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:39 AM
voodoo93
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't sweat it DD there's A-holes in every shape and size - some guys try to help and some just live to stir the pot.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:29 AM
JLION
Banned

Encouraging someone who isn't trained to confidently work on their brand new bike to do anything other than hi-tail it back to the dealer is not helping anyone.

How many people would spend $20,000 on a new car and knowing damn little about it, take a wrench to it at the first sign of trouble.

If you want to tinker and take sh*t apart buy an old clunker and have at it. If you want to ride a new bike and do your best to keep it that way, you take it to the dealer for at least the first year and let them document the problems and/or (attempt) to fix them.

Some people like to help.

Some people like to confuse.

Some like to impress others with their immense mechanical knowledge.

And some like to bitch about people pointing out the obvious, common sensical thing to do.

My initial comment about whiners peeing their pants wasn't directed at anyone in particular on this thread or this board. Just my reaction to seeing dozens and dozens of posts that start out:

"and now my brand new motorcycle don't work. What should I disassemble first?"

or

"and now my brand new motorcycle don't work. What a piece of sh*t. I'm sure the dealer is going to screw me over."

That just hasn't been my experience over 30 model years of HD's.

If you are (easily) offended or can't accept alternate points of view. I'm sorry, but I can't help you, either.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Encouraging someone who isn't trained to confidently work on their brand new bike to do anything other than hi-tail it back to the dealer is not helping anyone.
Or maybe they've figured out a good portion of the employed H-D techs have the intellect of a malfunctioning compensator sprocket, people who couldn't make ends meet on gas station wages so they figured, hey, I like Harley's, think I'll become a tech. A person's potential for reasoning and critical thinking is always a lot more important than their confidence level any day, even in mechanics.

Example: A good friend who just happens to be a electrical engineer in the computer industry in another town haddouble head gasket failure on his 1998 TransAm LT1 motor from driving with a bad water pump. He didn't think he could fix it because because he has never done any mechanics to speak of before, but I convinced him it had less to do with that than common sense. Long story short, I only helped him with part selection and gave some him tips on what to ask down at the machine shop where he took his heads to be re-surfaced. It's been over a year since he buttoned everything up and so far it's been running better than ever.

People helping people by whatever means we can is what we are all about hereas I see it, our motives for doing so don't matter much. Of course, it always goes without saying, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:24 AM
deuce dude
Road Master

thanks Cynic....i help like that when i can too. with a little guidance people can do simple repairs themselves and feel more confidant when something happens on the side of the road. funny thing is, i gave some background on a possible problem in an area he had already been in on his last bike and then told him the dealer could fix it right up....and then got in a argument with a new guy that doesnt want to help in the first place....oh well, i'll keep trying to help and he'll keep up his attitude i'm sure....

ORIGINAL: Cynic

Or maybe they've figured out a good portion of the employed H-D techs have the intellect of a malfunctioning compensator sprocket, people who couldn't make ends meet on gas station wages so they figured, hey, I like Harley's, think I'll become a tech. A person's potential for reasoning and critical thinking is always a lot more important than their confidence level any day, even in mechanics.

Example: A good friend who just happens to be a electrical engineer in the computer industry in another town haddouble head gasket failure on his 1998 TransAm LT1 motor from driving with a bad water pump. He didn't think he could fix it because because he has never done any mechanics to speak of before, but I convinced him it had less to do with that than common sense. Long story short, I only helped him with part selection and gave some him tips on what to ask down at the machine shop where he took his heads to be re-surfaced. It's been over a year since he buttoned everything up and so far it's been running better than ever.

People helping people by whatever means we can is what we are all about hereas I see it, our motives for doing so don't matter much. Of course, it always goes without saying, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
[/quote]

Quick Reply: "07 Ultra Primary oil is full of metal.