Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Shudder from primary in neutral. Clutch handle released.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019 | 10:11 PM
LenBoyLo
|
Tourer
Default Shudder from primary in neutral. Clutch handle released.

So this came on kinda sudden and only detectable while in neutral. No shudder felt or heard while under power or decel. Or with clutch lever pulled in. Just in neutral at a stand still. No burnt oil smell and only silver dust in primary drainings. No chunks. I’m guessing clutch discs and friction discs. But would like to hear from you all. Haven’t pulled things apart yet. That’s next step. 40 K plus miles on this 2010 TC engine and clutch. Maybe stock clutch basket problem ?

Old 04-28-2019 | 06:53 PM
LenBoyLo
|
Tourer

So what I can see as the only visible wear is the mainshaft pilot bearing. The wear is heavier on one side of the race than the other. Almost appears as if the main shaft is running in an out of round condition. But may also be the outer support bearing of the inner primary cover which runs on the mainshaft pilot bearing in poor condition. This type of wear is so slow and insideous while running that it took a winter break and then the first spring run to pick up on this shudder or vibration. Feels good to have caught this before collateral damage occurred to mainshaft trans bearing or clutch components from larger debris spinning around in the primary. Now that it's all apart SE clutch components, SE compensator, mainshaft hub, alternator (40 to 50 amp) and new bearings/seals going in.

Old 09-05-2020 | 04:07 AM
Giorgi Qitidze
6th Gear

Originally Posted by LenBoyLo
So what I can see as the only visible wear is the mainshaft pilot bearing. The wear is heavier on one side of the race than the other. Almost appears as if the main shaft is running in an out of round condition. But may also be the outer support bearing of the inner primary cover which runs on the mainshaft pilot bearing in poor condition. This type of wear is so slow and insideous while running that it took a winter break and then the first spring run to pick up on this shudder or vibration. Feels good to have caught this before collateral damage occurred to mainshaft trans bearing or clutch components from larger debris spinning around in the primary. Now that it's all apart SE clutch components, SE compensator, mainshaft hub, alternator (40 to 50 amp) and new bearings/seals going in.
Very similar symotoms.
I thought it was inner primary bearing, but when i opened it i saw it was, gear ring, clutch hun, all bearings, even chain is scretched. So i bought literally whole left side of bike to be sure.. because if one detail to not work properly, it causes other to damage and etc..

Old 09-05-2020 | 05:41 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Need to interpret what a shudder means to us boys down here. That word means a shake to us. Or maybe further south like in NC, a place where a cow stores her milk?