Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Broken countershaft bearing removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 11:04 PM
Mick.vs.theworld
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken countershaft bearing removal

sooo , long story short , on my 17 fxdl. Saw some oil by the primary , saw wetness behind inner primary , do I thought.... cracked case? Busted main shaft seal? Nope... pulled inner and outer, behind the pulley, there it is... countershaft bearing cracked , the wall of it is obliterated where I could pull on it by hand. Come to find out the countershaft nut walked and the shaft bounced on that wall of the bearing . don’t have an arbor press on hand and I don’t want to make a mountain out of a mole hill by removing swing arm and This and that to get the case out to find a way to get that sum mum ma bish out . Usually I can problem solve but this one is making me scratch my head .... will a little dremel be strong enough to cut through that ring to collapse it? What to do? After an awesome way of removing it , what’s an inexpensive way to install the new one without damaging it?

Old 01-23-2019, 11:07 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts

G'day Mick,

welcome to HDF.

I will be your tour guide. Be sure to read the manual before posting ok mate?

Or we will have discipline you and if you don't "get it" we will need to discipline you biker style.

Now, for your orientation. Go down the hall on your left to the 1st room. No, wait. That is where Izzo interviews the gals. The 1st room on your right. That is where the commissary is.

Then you will see doors marked for the mortuary, skeet shooting, a room where we make fun of In-Jun bikes, and of course we have a ahh, umm, oh yeah a across the hall.

We had a BOMB MAKING room but, well, ahhhhh, 1 of the guys just didn't understand Blasting Caps very well so..... you know.

We have our own pub .

There are several places where you can familiarize your self with the .

So don't be a wall flower watching others . Get involved.

See you around mate. I am going to the commissary now.

**** ON THE SERIOUS SIDE ****

**** I AM NOT ONE TO GIVE ADVICE ON HOW HDF WORKS BUT… ****
**** AND THE FOLLOWING IS UNOFFICIAL ****

You are in the “New Members Area” where you can introduce yourself and let us know what Harley Davidson bike(s) (if any) you ride/own.

If you have questions about engines, exhaust systems, audio issues, etc… then:

1) Please go to the upper corner and Roll Over “Forums

2) Then come down to and Roll Over “Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum

3) Then come down to the section that would be most appropriate for your question like Audio Systems, Engine Mechanical Topics, Exhaust System Topics, etc… and CLICK on the topic you have a question about.

You will find the knowledge here is EXCELLENT and these here mates are willing to help you in any way they can. ‘juss be careful. There are some “Trolls”, so I suggest just ignoring them ‘ole farts.

See you around HDF. Come often, we have a humor thread, game thread, and a LOT of other stuff.

Have A Great Day Mate,

BuzzCap7

Old 01-23-2019, 11:53 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Canada.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:04 AM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,094 Likes on 3,494 Posts

Welcome to the H-D Forums from Idaho ! ENJOY !

Old 01-24-2019, 04:14 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,487 Likes on 5,058 Posts

Out of warranty?
The countershaft is not behind the pulley...That is the mainshaft and the main drive gear.
Sounds like you are attempting to disassemble a transmission without a service manual, right?

Old 01-24-2019, 05:54 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,090 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Can you post some pictures so we can make sure of the problem then maybe someone will be able to help. I will say that you can replace all of the bearings for the transmission without pulling case but you will have to pull the gearset out. Post pictures. Buy a factory service manual.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:07 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Welcome to the Forum lots of great info here enjoy and learn or brush up a bit from Stuart Fl. Ride a Lot Ride Safe.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:42 AM
Mick.vs.theworld
2nd Gear
Default updated with photos

I'm not going to get into my experience background because no one cares and it will just be a clash of egos. i guess since I'm new to forums and own a 2017, i give off the impression i don't know much.
anyway, i guess i didn't phrase my thread well. facing the mainshaft / front pulley.. behind the pulley, but to the top left, theres this thing that most people who dont know about bikes would call a freeze plug but in actuality its the back of the countershaft pilot bearing.

now in my travels, i have disassembled many transmission, rebuilt them, stripped bikes down and built back up... but never have i ever encountered a blown out bearing wall.
I'm almost 99.9% confident the service manual doesn't have this solution, thats why i started an account here just for this problem. on my old phd links to exploded diagrams and deep troubleshooting from when i was a tech.... nope not there. no mention of an "if the bearing breaks this is what you can do to extract it" . here are some photos.

sorry gents, thought the photos uploaded when i originally posted.

even when i remove the case and bring it in to a press, theres nothing to seat on to in order to press the rest of it out.

Attached Thumbnails Broken countershaft bearing removal-img_0629.jpg   Broken countershaft bearing removal-img_0630.jpg  
Old 01-24-2019, 06:45 AM
Mick.vs.theworld
2nd Gear
Default ps

sorry guys, not coming off like a dick. my coworker said it sounded like that, not good with typing with emotion.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,834 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick.vs.theworld
sorry guys, not coming off like a dick. my coworker said it sounded like that, not good with typing with emotion.
There are people her on this board that think because you are new here you cannot have experience or useful knowledge. It's there own little click. Anything one says must have a url for proof, or it is not true. I've been accused of lying about my mileage on two wheels, and maintaining my own bike.

But there are some folks with real knowledge and experience here. And some folks who cannot read and apply.

Good luck repairing the tranny. That new and no warranty? Damn...hope your purchase price was great.

Quick Reply: Broken countershaft bearing removal