Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Screeching sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:24 PM
hsteved
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screeching sound

I've got a 2012 special Construction. Originally it was like an 85 FX model Softail, so it's got an EVO engine a 5-speed tranny except for the motor I built it from the ground up. January of 2017 someone pulled right out in front of me so I built it from the ground up again. I've had it on the road many times since then had a few little bugs to work out nothing major. Three nights ago I was making a left onto a freeway on-ramp so I was traveling at a very low rate of speed and all of a sudden I heard this horrible screeching sound so I pulled over to the side & shut the motor off. It was night time I couldn't find anything wrong with it so I started it up and proceeded to go home the following day I looked it over couldn't find anything wrong with it so last night I wrote it about 20 miles spent the night with a girlfriend wrote it to 20 miles back home the right before I got home I was getting off the freeway off-ramp getting ready to come to a stop and I hear that screeching sound again and the motor died I was in traffic so I hit the starter button it started right up and got me home. I just took off the derby cover to make sure it had oil it does everything seems to be fine in there . I need help finding out what that noise could possibly be. The first night it happened my buddy was with me riding my 1990 Heritage Softail and over the noise the bike he was riding he can hear the screeching noise also scared me pretty good I thought something really major was wrong with my bike but it started right up it's ran down the road but there's definitely something going on that I need to fix any suggestions or help would be appreciated thank you.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. To be frank identifying a sound on-line is notoriously difficult! Far better IMHO to find a local indy who can see and listen to your bike in person and get suggestions from him.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:40 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,954 Likes on 4,032 Posts

When you first heard the screech, was the clutch in, out or as you were pulling it in or letting it out? Did it stop screeching when you came to a stop or when you shut the motor down?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I had my clutch screech once.It was low in primary oil by about eight once and I was on very steep stop an go traffic.