Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

milky swirls in transm. oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:48 PM
cmh
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milky swirls in transm. oil

recently changed clutch cable. after reassembling. noticed a leak after a short ride. took primary cover off to replace gasket again and noticed a milky swirl in the oil. what would cause this?

Old 06-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: milky swirls in transm. oil

That milky color indicates some moisture got in somehow. I'd change the fluid again.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:49 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

How long did you ride it before noticing the swirl? A short trip or just a few minutes of idling time will not get rid of the moisture. You can change it....and the swirl will return.

Get on the bike and ride for at least 20 minutes and then check it. Give it some time to burn off the condensation.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're right, Evorider. I should have thought of that.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The transmission has a vent tube on it. It is located on primary side of the transmission top cover on a softal. It is a black j shaped rubber hose. Make sure it is still attached and j shaped. I had h20 get it mine when I 1st bought mine after a flood ridding it home. Had to change 2x to get it to clear up. Hasn't happen since.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:28 AM
2kflhr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: EVOrider

How long did you ride it before noticing the swirl? A short trip or just a few minutes of idling time will not get rid of the moisture. You can change it....and the swirl will return.

Get on the bike and ride for at least 20 minutes and then check it. Give it some time to burn off the condensation.
I've read many times if you don't plan on riding at least twenty miles the engine will not create enough heat to dissipate the moisture in the oil due to condensation.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:08 PM
hylton_enterprises
Novice

I have this same problem in my 05 Train, except for my tranny fluid doesn't have milky swirls, it is completely milky. I drained my tranny and put some of it in a zip lock bag to bring in to the Harley dealer when I go buy some new fluids. I noticed that after like three days of sitting in my garage, that the water still hadn't separated from the oil. I thought that it would, but still hasn't. Don't you guys think that's a little weird? I have been told over and over that it was water that caused this, but I can' find that vent that one of you spoke of earlier where water would have gotten in. I will look again tonight when I get home. Also, after the fluid sat for a couple days, there was a lot of gray that had settled on the bottom. I am kind of thinking that wear from my tranny!! It has always shifted really hard (in my opinion), but the dealer said that it was normal. What do you guys think?