Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

WHY no check for primary

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017 | 07:02 AM
mcgee10
|
Tourer
Default WHY no check for primary

Why would Harley NOT put a way( dip stick) in the primary cover. Can check the transmission and engine oil with a dip stick.
Just wondering why?

Old 07-20-2017 | 07:21 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by mcgee10
Why would Harley NOT put a way( dip stick) in the primary cover. Can check the transmission and engine oil with a dip stick.
Just wondering why?
Where exactly would a dip stick go? Think about it; you have a clutch basket, a sprocket shaft/compensator and primary chain all spinning in there. There's no place a dip stick could protrude past all of that.

Old 07-20-2017 | 07:44 AM
mcgee10
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Where exactly would a dip stick go? Think about it; you have a clutch basket, a sprocket shaft/compensator and primary chain all spinning in there. There's no place a dip stick could protrude past all of that.
I'm no engineer but it would seem like a sight window, or something would have been possible.
So they put one on the transmission because they had a place for it? Just asking.
So if you have a leak in your primary you might never know it until it blows apart.
Reason I'm asking is a buddy found oil all over his rear A arm but could not see where it was coming from no oil dripping anywhere. Turns out it was dripping from the primary drain plug when he was ridding it and the air flow was blowing it back there, had to pull the cover to check it and fill it in a parking lot of the Napa store.

Old 07-20-2017 | 08:16 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

money is the reason.... more parts, more machining, more engineering, all that adds to the cost of manufacturing.

Old 07-20-2017 | 10:34 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I'm no engineer but it would seem like a sight window, or something would have been possible.
So they put one on the transmission because they had a place for it? Just asking.
So if you have a leak in your primary you might never know it until it blows apart.
Reason I'm asking is a buddy found oil all over his rear A arm but could not see where it was coming from no oil dripping anywhere. Turns out it was dripping from the primary drain plug when he was ridding it and the air flow was blowing it back there, had to pull the cover to check it and fill it in a parking lot of the Napa store.
Here you go

http://www.pdi-racing.com/figure-mac...yABEgKnsfD_BwE

200 bucks plus shipping and you're good. Except........you still may not be able see down to the bottom of the clutch basket where the fluid is. RSD makes one too but it's more expensive. There have also been a number of complaints regarding leakage. So you see, sometimes the fix isn't a fix. Besides, "change" ain't Harley's strong suit.

Here's what I and lot of other long time Harley riders do.

I use engine oil in engine, primary fluid in the primary and transmission fluid in the trans. The trans fluid I use is red. So if I see fluid below one of my bikes that's dark and smells of combustion, it's engine oil. If it looks semi clean and doesn't smell like combustion, it's primary oil. If it's red it's transmission fluid. Hope that helps.

Old 07-20-2017 | 02:58 PM
mcgee10
|
Tourer

The Derby cover with the window in it shows me that someone else is wondering the same thing I was. And your idea with the oil colors would work for most. I use Klotz oil in all three holes and it's all red.
I just changed them all today, the transmission and primary comes out the same color as the new stuff going in. Maybe I do it to often. I use new O rings and teflon tape every time. But I have never changed that derby cover gasket does anyone.

Old 07-20-2017 | 05:35 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Because it is not necessary.
If the level goes down, it will be on the ground, or in the engine oil tank, which will cause the engine oil level to be high.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-21-2017)
Old 07-20-2017 | 06:41 PM
mcgee10
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Because it is not necessary.
If the level goes down, it will be on the ground, or in the engine oil tank, which will cause the engine oil level to be high.
No it won't be my buddy just went threw this it leaked out while he was driving it on the highway it had some oil on his rear A arm. Buy time he stopped there was no oil in the primary at all to leak on the ground. He has no idea how long he drove it while it was empty. His guess is 4 hours but Filled it back up found the leak and now everything is good again.
So how long could you drive it dry before some damage was done.

Old 07-20-2017 | 06:55 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

My Royal Enfield had fill hole and a small bolt for the oil level once the oil start coming thru the small bolt hole stop adding oil and you are all set.

Old 07-20-2017 | 08:45 PM
blackxpress
Road Master

No it won't be my buddy just went threw this it leaked out while he was driving it on the highway it had some oil on his rear A arm. Buy time he stopped there was no oil in the primary at all to leak on the ground. He has no idea how long he drove it while it was empty. His guess is 4 hours but Filled it back up found the leak and now everything is good again.
So how long could you drive it dry before some damage was done.
If your buddy had done a pre-ride check he would've known his primary was leaking. He should never have left on a 400 mile ride without a pre-ride check. Primaries are not under pressure and they don't just spontaneously start leaking. Your buddy's primary had been leaking for a while and he failed to notice it. There's no need for a primary dip stick. In fact, the transmission dip stick is overkill. If your tranny or primary are losing oil you'll know it if you're paying attention. It'll be dripping on the ground. Tell your buddy from now on to take a look under his bike before he takes off on it. If he sees fresh oil on the ground he needs to figure out where it's coming from.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-21-2017)

Quick Reply: WHY no check for primary