Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Tranny Bang

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017 | 02:42 PM
wink123
|
6th Gear
Default Tranny Bang

I hopefully am in the right area of this forum for this question, I have no intention of offending anyone. I've searched this forum and online and cannot find anyone that has/had this problem. I have a 99 ultra classic that has been triked. The problem I have is after shifting to 1st gear and I'm moving if I give it too much throttle I'll get a bang in the tranny, or I believe it's the tranny area, it's loud and sounds like something was stuck and then snaps free, yesterday it starting doing that in 2nd as well. I'm hesitate about driving it for fear I'll do some unseen damage. Please please if anyone has any ideas please email and let me know your thoughts. my email address is cheezhead1950@yahoo.com, I'm providing it cause I know so little about these forum things and would never find a reply if someone did reply, pls forgive me if I didn't follow correct protocol. Wink

Old 07-16-2017 | 02:51 PM
billib1954
Road Master

Whew, that title is scarry, thought maybe you got a bad surprise.
First thing to check is primary chain tension, it will go slack when you pull the clutch in, then tighten back up when you let the clutch out. That could be what you are hearing. You should have a small inspection cover on the primary. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2017 | 05:31 PM
wink123
|
6th Gear

Thx RC, I've checked that, and it's right, also the clutch is completely out and the bike is already moving, if I at that point I give it gas it'll bang loud. I thought maybe the oil was to thick and the clutch hadnt released completely, however I took it for a ride, warmed everything up, pulled over, shut it all down. Shifted to neutral, started bike, put in first, started moving but when I gave it gas, once again the bang. I don't mean excessive amount of throttle either. However if I creep away till I get into second, never an issue. Course like I mentioned earlier yesterday it did it in 2nd as well, so I'm kinda worried the problem could be getting worse. I have no idea what to even look at anymore. Wink

Old 07-16-2017 | 07:03 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Remove the outer primary and inspect the clutch and compensator. One of the retaining nuts may be loose, or the pulley retaining nut might be loose.

The following users liked this post:
wink123 (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017 | 08:09 PM
wink123
|
6th Gear

Dan, thx I will do that next weekend if time permits. Cause I have no idea what the problem could be. Let me ask you, have you experienced this problem in the past as you seem to know just where the problem is? Again thx, I'll let you know what I find out. Wink

Old 07-16-2017 | 08:25 PM
Rickity
Advanced

I agree with Dan89FLSTC, coulb be the compensator nut has loosened or the spring has broken. Have you checked the tranny fluid for metal? I've got a '09 Ultra with only 18K miles that I had to replace inner and outer primary bearings, also had to do a complete tranny rebuild due to the fact that the stock automatic primary chain adjuster had the chain bound up so tight. Ended up putting a Baker Armored Attitude adjuster on. Gives your primary chain some room to flex. Also helped with the starter not trying to kick-back. Well worth the $200.00 not having to do this all over again

Old 07-28-2017 | 04:59 PM
wink123
|
6th Gear

Ok guys, I took of the primary cover today, took the compenstator sprocket nut off, man that's a job, actually broke one of me 3/4" ratchet extensions but it's finally off. No metal shavings in the bottom of the case, compenstator spring looks good, got some wear on the sliding cam teeth which I would think is normal. I haven't checked any of the retaining screws for tightness yet but hopefully tomorrow. Is there anything else I should be checking, cause everything looks pretty darn good in there so far. Any help is greatly appreciated. Wink

Old 07-29-2017 | 09:58 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned

Is there anything else that happens when you hear the bang or just the noise? Does the bike lurch, rev, twitch, anything?

Old 07-30-2017 | 09:08 AM
wink123
|
6th Gear

Mark thx for the reply, no it does nothing else. I'll shift into low and if I drive slowly for a bit it never bangs however if I throttle to quickly that's when it bangs. I thought it must have something to do with the clutch sticking somehow and when I drive slow it releases slow, but if I throttle it bangs. What I don't understand is if it were the clutch I'd think it wouldn't even engage, slow speed or fast. But then again I'm thinking it has to be the clutch now that I've look at the compenstator cam and spring and they are fine. I'm totally confused.
Wink

Old 07-30-2017 | 04:54 PM
wink123
|
6th Gear

Was just working on the Harley, got a couple questions. A year or so Ago I changed out the alternator and stator, i filled the primary with ATF fluid as I'd read that's AOK, that brings me to these two questions, 1) the fluid when I drained it from the primary case was black, only way you'd know it was ATF fluid is if you put your finger in it you'd notice the color was suppose to be red. I put a small amount in a clear glass and yep it's really dark, so question is, is that normal? 2) next question is could that stator and cover be bigger then the OEM one that was on the bike previously? Reason I ask is if push chain just a little it slams into the stator cover. I'm wondering if that isn't causing my bang if I throttle to fast and doesn't if I take of slow. Your thoughts, anyone. Thx for all the info/suggestions to this point.
Wink

Quick Reply: Tranny Bang