Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Tranny Bang

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017 | 04:06 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

The drive belt has two pulleys (technically they are sprockets), one on the rear wheel, and one on the transmission.

Front pulley retaining nut, item 11 in the illustration:
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....ND%20SPROCKETS

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-05-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2017 | 04:11 PM
FunGramps
Banned

Tranny Bang? Sounds like a bad XXX flick! I know, no help. Wish I could.

Old 08-05-2017 | 04:52 PM
Strtspdlx
Novice

Wink, my bike started out only doing it under heavy loads. It's at the point now that it does it almost all the time unless I creep on the throttle extremely slow. I haven't gotten Into the trans yet but I know for a fact it's inside the trans. I'm just praying the dogs on the gears aren't trashed and I can just replace a shift fork and a selector sleeve. However I doubt that is likely with how bad it is acting now.

Old 08-07-2017 | 07:42 AM
wink123
|
6th Gear

Strtspdlx, opened up the tranny cover yesterday, that was a project in and of itself with having to pull the exhaust and all. Anyway the first think I noticed was that the gear engagement adjustment is way outta wack, there are instructions in the Harley manual on just how to adjust this, I probably should have tried adjusting that first but I couldn't get the feel right and wasn't comfortable, so that's where I am. I couldn't see any damage from looking above, was going to just make that adjustment and throw it back together, but after thinking about it awhile have decided to continue on in and check the shifter forks and anything else that needs to be looked at while it's open, don't desire to redo if I can avoid it. I hope yours is an easy fix as I'm hoping mine could be. Wink

Old 08-07-2017 | 12:05 PM
Strtspdlx
Novice

I think I'm going to try and finish out the season before I tear it apart. I got this bike in may or around then, after not having a bike for 9 years so i really want to keep riding it. The more i ride it the more I think it's a bad dog or shift fork. If I fiddle with the shifter while riding I can get it hold better but it feels like the detent isn't holding it securely. Well find out around October hopefully. I may have asked this already but is your bike a 5 speed? My manual doesn't show any adjustment aside for shifter linkage and clutch cable and pushrod. Unless I overlooked it.

Old 08-07-2017 | 12:48 PM
wink123
|
6th Gear

Strtspdlx, No you didn't miss anything, thats all my manual shows for adjustment as well. The tranny on my 99 Ultra Classic is a 5 speed. Good luck to you and enjoy the ride time while you can, as fall is fast approaching. I hope to get sometime in for some riding as well before the snow fly's up here in Northern Wisconsin. Take care my friend, and thx for the help. Wink

Old 08-08-2017 | 10:31 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned

Originally Posted by Strtspdlx
I think I'm going to try and finish out the season before I tear it apart. I got this bike in may or around then, after not having a bike for 9 years so i really want to keep riding it. The more i ride it the more I think it's a bad dog or shift fork. If I fiddle with the shifter while riding I can get it hold better but it feels like the detent isn't holding it securely. Well find out around October hopefully. I may have asked this already but is your bike a 5 speed? My manual doesn't show any adjustment aside for shifter linkage and clutch cable and pushrod. Unless I overlooked it.
What year is your bike? Anything past 2000 softails or 01 baggers and Dynas will not have a shifter pawl adjustment.