Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Tranny Bang

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017 | 04:56 PM
wink123
|
6th Gear

Oh one other thing though, I noticed there are no markings on that stator cover though, but also the inside of the case has no markings where the chain had hit it and there were no metal shavings anywhere. Wink

Old 07-31-2017 | 07:29 AM
wink123
|
6th Gear

I give up, I just may be over thinking this thing, went back into the shop last night, and after I'd re-tighten the chain tensioner, the chain does not hit the stator cover. Guess I'm just hoping that it's something stupid. Will re-adjust the clutch this week-end and maybe try a different oil ILO the transmission fluid. Thx to everyone for your help and suggestions. Wink

Old 08-02-2017 | 04:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Friction material from the clutch will turn the oil dirty, one reason for changing it at set intervals. Can't help with the bang though, as you seem to have checked out the sensible things.

Old 08-02-2017 | 07:37 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned

Originally Posted by wink123
was just working on the harley, got a couple questions. A year or so ago i changed out the alternator and stator, i filled the primary with atf fluid as i'd read that's aok, that brings me to these two questions, 1) the fluid when i drained it from the primary case was black, only way you'd know it was atf fluid is if you put your finger in it you'd notice the color was suppose to be red. I put a small amount in a clear glass and yep it's really dark, so question is, is that normal? 2) next question is could that stator and cover be bigger then the oem one that was on the bike previously? Reason i ask is if push chain just a little it slams into the stator cover. I'm wondering if that isn't causing my bang if i throttle to fast and doesn't if i take of slow. Your thoughts, anyone. Thx for all the info/suggestions to this point.
Wink
edit...

Old 08-05-2017 | 09:08 AM
wink123
|
6th Gear

Update: Reinstalled the compenstator, adjusted the clutch, tightened everything up, refilled the primary with Mobil 1 20W50, primary oil. Took it out for a ride, gave it throttle, no bang and shifted great, for once had no problem shifting from low into neutral (I've never been able to do that before). Got back home, bike sat for maybe an hour, took it out and right back to the same bang when giving it throttle, only this time it started missing bad like it was going to shot down, I backed off the throttle and it recovered. Any ideas? Also don't know if it'll help but I've also got a problem where when I press the starter button, it's dead, nothing happens, but I installed a manual push button on the starter itself sometime back and it starts right up, then when I turn it off the handle bar starter works as normal. I'm totally confused at this point, anyone with any ideas/comments are welcomed. Wink

Old 08-05-2017 | 09:27 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Motor mount?

Old 08-05-2017 | 10:47 AM
Strtspdlx
Novice

What trans is in the bike? I'm thinking your having an issue like I am. Where either a shift fork is bent and not fully engaging or the dogs on the gears are trashed.

Old 08-05-2017 | 11:43 AM
wink123
|
6th Gear

strtspdlx, I was kinda afraid that may be something like that. Let me ask; did you have the bang when you gave it throttle? Also did you not have it if you always started out very slow? as I don't think Ive ever had the problem when Ive taken off very slow. As for the tranny its a 5 speed, if you were asking for the name/model Ill have to do some looking. The bike is a 99 Ultra Classic that has been triked. Did you get your tranny fixed? If so was it a major under taking or something you fixed yourself. Thx again everyone for your help in trying to fix this issue. Wink

Old 08-05-2017 | 02:09 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Have you made sure the front pulley retaining nut is tight?

Rear pulley?

Old 08-05-2017 | 03:28 PM
wink123
|
6th Gear

Dan89FLSTC, I'm assuming you mean the retaining nut on the compenstator sprocket. If that's the case yes its tight as I pulled it off to check the spring on the compenstator and then re-torqued it back to 150ftpounds. If that's not what you are referring please explain further cause I'm in the woods on this thing. Thx Wink

Quick Reply: Tranny Bang