Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Harleys Reduced Effort Clutch Kit for '99-'05 Twin Cam-equipped models

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005 | 05:56 AM
hollycowz
2nd Gear
Default RE: Harleys Reduced Effort Clutch Kit for '99-'05 Twin Cam-equipped models

ORIGINAL: Neckball

......the spring is lighter ok so the pull is less, there is a much less clamping force now on the clutch, they work ok for 88 but a 95 kit shifted hard will blow through the clutch.
Any idea why the H-D kit comes with the lighter clutch spring and the White Bros. kit does not? Is it necessary or not?

And then this is from the H-D website, description of parts content for Stage 1 big bore kit-

A high-performance clutch spring is included to provide the additional clutch capacity required by the extra power.
And if the reduced effort kit with the lighter spring is
Stock on '06 Twin Cam-equipped models.
, which spring is installed at the factory on the SE 103" equipped models?

The SE 103" comes with a hydraulic clutch from the factory.

Old 12-19-2005 | 10:45 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Default RE: Harleys Reduced Effort Clutch Kit for '99-'05 Twin Cam-equipped models

[quote]ORIGINAL: hollycowz

ORIGINAL: Neckball

......the spring is lighter ok so the pull is less, there is a much less clamping force now on the clutch, they work ok for 88 but a 95 kit shifted hard will blow through the clutch.
Any idea why the H-D kit comes with the lighter clutch spring and the White Bros. kit does not? Is it necessary or not?

The white brothers just uses a mechanical advantage such as an extended arm to pull the ball and ramp , which reduces the pull effort on the clutch handle. I have one and they do the job very well at about $20 . It's also a bit less work to install. There's a post in the DIY forum on this.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_73364/tm.htm

Old 12-22-2005 | 07:54 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm going to try a hydraulic cltch setup from drag specialties for my flhtpi.

about 375 bucks

Old 01-09-2006 | 05:14 PM
duet
Intermediate

I just finished my installation of the spring and cam on my FXDI 05. Went great! Also switched to 75 90 mobil 1. Shifts smooth and feels great. The installation write up were right on.Thanks.

Old 02-07-2006 | 06:23 PM
xler8r
Intermediate

Can you just use the ramps out of this? I have the Heavy duty clutch spring and want a lighter pull but I need the extra spring for the HP!

Old 02-07-2006 | 06:25 PM
xler8r
Intermediate

!

Old 02-08-2006 | 04:02 PM
hollycowz
2nd Gear

The Harley reduced effort clutch kit works because of the lighter spring and because the angle of the ramp is 19 degrees instead of the older 21 degree ramps, so just using the new ramps probably wouldn't help much...You can use your heavy duty spring and install the MRC Clutch assist. It works well when big bore kits are installed.
Holly

Old 04-27-2006 | 08:07 PM
Jenny8675309
Advanced

Does anybody know if the reduced effort clutch kit will work on a '04 1200C Sportster? I called the dealer and they assured me that it would so I bought it. Now I can't get my bike back together with the new parts b/c I don't understand the instructions that came w/it. Can anyone help?

TIA, Sue~

Old 04-29-2006 | 06:50 PM
00glider
Cruiser

Jenny,

I looked up the "reduced effort clutch kit" on the H-D web site, and it doesn't list it for sporties, only TC-88, and I'm sure that is what the instructions point out. Not sure what your dealer sold you. I'd ask again. Good luck.

00glider

Old 04-29-2006 | 07:46 PM
00glider
Cruiser

Over the winter I beefed up by bike as a DIY project. I added 98" Revolution BB kit with CP pistons, a Andrews 37G cam set, and a Mikuni HSR-42 carb from HDWRENCH (sponsor on this site). There is a huge difference in torque and horsepower now. I haven't had it dynoed yet as I want to make sure it's well broken in before having that done. What I can guess is that it's now up in to 90-100 HP and torque range that comes on from low RPMs.

He responded earlier in the post that I ought to get one of those "hand thingies" to strengthen my clutch hand, but with all due respect, my hands are a mess due to some medical problems and what I need is a lighter clutch effort, especially in traffic. The "Reduced Effort Kit" worked just fine for me on the stock bike as long as I wasn't dumping the clutch hard, but Steve was right about bumping the power on a bike. I've been pretty easy on my new build so far, but I can easily break the clutch or tires loose the way things are now.

Most performance clutch kits offer better or more load bearing clutch surfaces and/or springs - and with the heavier spring options come added lever effort. My next move is to keep the ramps from the "Reduced Effort Kit" in place, but I bought the SE diagram clutch plate which is even heavier than the stock plate (around $20), and I am going to buy a VP83T variable pressure clutch device from AIM Tamachi http://www.aim-tamachi.com For around $245 this model offers 20% reduction in pull effort at low RPM levels for my bike. You should check their options out. They have models that fit stock to wild builds, and prices that match. They even have them for some of those after-market heavy duty clutch systems. For a stock bike, the VP67T model offers a 40% reduction in clutch lever pull. Weights with levers ride on a ring on top of the diagram and use centrifugal force to apply extra pressure to the diagram as RPMs increase. This is a pricier option for sure, but I like the idea that I can get a 20% reduction in spring load on my hand with either the stock or SE plate, and have the increased clutch clamping load of say 116-142 ft-lbs at higher RPMs. Looks like a relatively easy install, but one you need to be careful with. There are apparently some cover plate issues.

Thought I would add my 2-cents worth here having tried multiple options.

Brian

Quick Reply: Harleys Reduced Effort Clutch Kit for '99-'05 Twin Cam-equipped models