Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Harleys Reduced Effort Clutch Kit for '99-'05 Twin Cam-equipped models

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005 | 05:15 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Default RE: Harleys Reduced Effort Clutch Kit for '99-'05 Twin Cam-equipped models

Brian

Could you be a bit more specific with this installation, you seemed to have left out a few things

Like did you stop for a beer or anything?

Great post and I'm sure it will be very helpful for the installation to many.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2005 | 06:47 PM
00glider
Cruiser
Default RE: Harleys Reduced Effort Clutch Kit for '99-'05 Twin Cam-equipped models

Thanks Bill,

Yes, beer and a few other things were involved. [8D]
Sorry for the long writeups. I tend to do that, but I hope others get something out of them (laughs, grins, nods, and my own experiences) if it relates to them.
I've gotten quite a bit out of you guys as well.

Old 10-16-2005 | 11:02 AM
billvaughn
Tourer

Great writeup and I appreciate the info.....Great background on your pic....Hard to get that kind of view in FL......

Old 10-20-2005 | 02:45 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master

not rain on any ones bubble or is it glass house sink ships I never can get that right. But anywaysssss the spring is lighter ok so the pull is less, there is a much less clamping force now on the clutch, they work ok for 88 but a 95 kit shifted hard will blow through the clutch. I would suggest buying a hand grip thingie from a sporting goods store and use it wheil watching the idiot box or such LOL Just a head ups

Old 10-24-2005 | 11:37 PM
Hugo
Cruiser

looks like my bike except i have the custom. good lookin machine.

Old 10-31-2005 | 09:26 PM
hollycowz
2nd Gear

Hello, I have to put my two cents in here... you should check out the MRC Clutch. It is very similar to the "new" HD reduced effort clutch but much better.Two different kits fit big twins '87 to present or sportsters '94 to present. It uses a 15 degree ramp with bigger ***** and no spring replacement. It is great for those of you with big bore kits! You can order it through a dealer or aftermarket shop. It has been in use for many years in Japan and we have been selling them in the U.S. and Canada since 2001. Check out our website www.mrcclutch.com. It does cost a little more but you pay for what you get...

Old 11-02-2005 | 01:20 PM
ultravista
Road Captain

I'm thinking about doing the same for my 01 Softail. The clutch is pretty heavy (my opinion) and I'd like to have it a little lighter.

On a side note, are there any hydraulic replacement clutches and if so, are they worth it?

Old 11-05-2005 | 10:34 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

I was reading about your clutch spring experience but couldn't help noticing your windshield. What kind/model is that? Your bike looks great.

Dave

Old 11-08-2005 | 06:02 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member

......the spring is lighter ok so the pull is less, there is a much less clamping force now on the clutch, they work ok for 88 but a 95 kit shifted hard will blow through the clutch.
Any idea why the H-D kit comes with the lighter clutch spring and the White Bros. kit does not? Is it necessary or not?

And then this is from the H-D website, description of parts content for Stage 1 big bore kit-

A high-performance clutch spring is included to provide the additional clutch capacity required by the extra power.
And if the reduced effort kit with the lighter spring is
Stock on '06 Twin Cam-equipped models.
, which spring is installed at the factory on the SE 103" equipped models?

Old 11-13-2005 | 03:32 PM
00glider
Cruiser

Hi David,

The windshield on my WideGlide is an H-D model "Supersport Detachable Windscreen" part number 57965-97A.
The mount kit was already on the bike when I bought it. It works fairly well - certainly helps keep direct rain and bugs off your face, and deflects a lot of wind at speed.
It's easy to take off for shorter or lower speed trips, when cleaning the bike, etc. The down side is there is still quite a bit of wind turbulence on this bike when say compared to a FatBoy with a full windshield, but this style fits this bike pretty good in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Harleys Reduced Effort Clutch Kit for '99-'05 Twin Cam-equipped models