Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

"self lubricating" chain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:50 PM
zenwarrior
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "self lubricating" chain?

I have the double O ring self lubricating chain. Does it really? And how long is that good for, before it runs out? What is a good way to lube the chain without ending up with lube all over the wheel and sprocket and brakelight?
Thanks
zen

Old 06-05-2007, 04:56 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: "self lubricating" chain?

Okay, get a jack. Put the bike up on the jack so you can rotate the chain freely. Bike in neutral obviously. Spin the rear wheel and spray the chain at one spot until the chain has gone around at least once if not several times. Get a clean rag and grab the chain with the rag and spin the wheel a few more times until the chain looks clean. Clean all the excess lube off the wheel as well. Repeat this action as needed depending upon how much you ride. When I rode 100 miles a day I would do it once a week. It will greatley extend the life of your chain to keep it clean and lubed. I never had a "self lubricating" chain. Ifthe chain is real dirty spray it with wd40 first to clean it, use the rag to get off the wd40, and then lube it and wipe off the excess. I used to use pj1. I also had a friend who swore by using clear silicone to lube his chain. I never tried it but I never knew him to have a problem...