Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Inner primary bearing gone

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

Put your floor jack under the remaining edge of the inner race to catch it. Tak your Dremel and just V notch it straight back where you have about 3/8 still out from under. Now with that support under it, take a chisel and using as a wedge in your notch, strike it lightly. Usually, that sleeve will just crack.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:15 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,434 Posts

Thanks Rip......not understanding what youre saying?

Old 05-06-2017, 01:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

These inner races in time past were bearing material that was heat treated. Probably, later stuff is just free matching steel with a case hardening process may be .01 thick or less. Then this is hardened in a heat treating operation and finished ground.
The older ones are pretty hard all the way thru to probably around 65RC. Grooving them with a V-shape groove about 3/4 way thru and then taking a steel cutting chisel with a slightly bigger V is taken and tapped into the ground V. That harden sleeve will crack right thru and easily slide off. Do it all the time. Just did two on a boat trailer couple days ago. The were so frozen to the axle even busting the bearings out the back side pulling the wheel hubs did not budge them. One crack and they fell off. On it, I just notched them about 3/8 back and down close in front. Put the chisel parallel to the axle straight hitting straight back. (Not down at the shaft) Does not really take a lot. Surprising me, your transmission quad seal is not gone.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-06-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:21 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member

" Put the chisel parallel to the axle straight hitting straight back"

yea well Im having a tough time thinking about putting ANY pressure towards that seal....dont want to push that race
any further inside.......I did that dremel cut and chisel.....this is what I was left with..striking straight down......didn't break all the way in......I DO have the other side I could the same thing on.....but if that breaks like this on Im screwed.

Thinking of using some tungsten bits to cut some relief areas closer to the inside........hoping they'll break away at those points too.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:39 PM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
" Put the chisel parallel to the axle straight hitting straight back"

yea well Im having a tough time thinking about putting ANY pressure towards that seal....dont want to push that race
any further inside.......I did that dremel cut and chisel.....this is what I was left with..striking straight down......didn't break all the way in......I DO have the other side I could the same thing on.....but if that breaks like this on Im screwed.
Thiyng of using some tungsten bits to cut some relief areas closer to the inside........hoping they'll break away at those points too.
To give the race more room behind you can remove the derby cover losen the main shaft nut and with a block of wood tap the main shaft in. It's worked for me many times than you can cut the race to the inside.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:51 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member

does that shaft have that much room to move to the left with all the gears on in the inside of the trans?

Old 05-06-2017, 02:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

There is actually 3 seals there. That first one is like a square o-ring. It's jobs is to seal the oil coming under the sleeve. The sleeve runs in the actual lip seal. Not in my head what you need to turn loose in the transmission to let the input shaft slide out. I have had the main bearing out of one long-long ago. We gutted the transmission and use a simple flat plate to pull it.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:33 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Not in my head what you need to turn loose in the transmission to let the input shaft slide out.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...l#post15422561

Old 05-07-2017, 06:39 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks. Was looking for that. Now if you pull the right cover and remove the right side input shaft retainer nut, is there enough clearance in all those gears to allow the shaft to come in enough to catch back off inner bearing race as far as this one.?? I think Harley fixed the latest bikes with a shoulder or something to prevent this from happening now or it just the sleeve.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-07-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:12 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member

thanks guys......very good info........but I've got a tool coming that that might remove it without going that route......gonna try it first.......should be here wednesday....I'll let ya know how it works
http://romancoinnovation.com/pages/pa_ma_pul.html

Quick Reply: Inner primary bearing gone