Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Help needed please with clutch choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017 | 07:39 AM
Adam76
|
Road Master
Default Help needed please with clutch choice

Hi guys, new member here looking for some advice on the best clutch set ups for a TC 88 softail and also an 1988 Fxst.

For the TC88, which aftermarket clutch set up would give me the lightest possible lever pull (left hand injury)?? The clutch does NOT need to hold much power, the bike makes just under 100/100.

Also, with the 1988 model Fxst clutch upgrades are limited and J&P have suggested their "light clutch kit" which seems to cheap to be true at less than $40???. Would the Mueller clutch assist be better? Do any of these ezy clutch kits really make any difference, they claim 40% less lever effort.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Adam76; 04-07-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2017 | 08:52 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned

Most easy pull clutch kit's just lower the degree of the ramp. Makes the pull easier but may also lead to stiff shifting and hard to find neutral because the lowered degree of the ramp angle also lessons the amount of clutch push rod travel. So you are not able to get enough clutch release. I believe there is a kit out there that uses some pulley typ system for the cable. I just don't remember where I seen it.

Old 04-07-2017 | 06:33 PM
Adam76
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Most easy pull clutch kit's just lower the degree of the ramp. Makes the pull easier but may also lead to stiff shifting and hard to find neutral because the lowered degree of the ramp angle also lessons the amount of clutch push rod travel. So you are not able to get enough clutch release. I believe there is a kit out there that uses some pulley typ system for the cable. I just don't remember where I seen it.
Hey thanks Mark. Appreciate the explanation.
If you do happen to remember the kit you are referring to, please post it for me out message me!!
Thanks

Old 04-08-2017 | 01:33 AM
Adam76
|
Road Master

Would it be the Mueller power clutch?

Old 04-08-2017 | 03:51 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Adam76
Would it be the Mueller power clutch?
Mueller is not much more than a ramp design.. I think the one he's talking about is this one..

http://www.retrocycle.com/CustomChro...In_Chrome.html

Old 04-08-2017 | 06:54 PM
Adam76
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Mueller is not much more than a ramp design.. I think the one he's talking about is this one..

http://www.retrocycle.com/CustomChro...In_Chrome.html
Thanks Max. That looks like a good piece of kit. Cheers.

Old 04-08-2017 | 08:26 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Adam76
Thanks Max. That looks like a good piece of kit. Cheers.
The design for that device is real close to the older mousetraps used on the older panheads.. Not as big tho.. I've not used them so I only pointed you to where they are.

I prefer finding less pressure buy using lighter springs, less steep ramps, and better clutch friction plates.

One other think that may like is the VPC.. I don't care for them as they make lever pull harder at RPMs..

https://aim-tamachi.com/pages/variab...ure-clutches-1

Old 04-09-2017 | 03:59 AM
Adam76
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The design for that device is real close to the older mousetraps used on the older panheads.. Not as big tho.. I've not used them so I only pointed you to where they are.

I prefer finding less pressure buy using lighter springs, less steep ramps, and better clutch friction plates.
Thanks Max. Really appreciate it.

For a guy like me who doesn't really understand clutches all that well...

1. Where would I get lighter springs?

2. Which kind of ramp is less steep that fits the 1988 clutch basket?

3. And what are the best friction plates and how many do I need?

Thanks for your help and apologies for the novice questions. 😃

Old 04-09-2017 | 04:23 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

Foot clutch and a jockey shift coming right up off the side of the trans. Cool as hell. I'm curious though I have a 96 evo and the clutch pull is rough in heavy traffic or parking lot manuevers. Wouldn't mind lightening it a bit.

Old 04-09-2017 | 07:18 AM
Adam76
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Foot clutch and a jockey shift coming right up off the side of the trans. Cool as hell. I'm curious though I have a 96 evo and the clutch pull is rough in heavy traffic or parking lot manuevers. Wouldn't mind lightening it a bit.
Yeah, that's definitely one option I have thought about.... Who makes 'em? Or do you have to do a bit of fabrication yourself?

Quick Reply: Help needed please with clutch choice