Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

automatic primary chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: automatic primary chain tensioner

IMHO the HD tensioner is a total POS. Read this post. https://www.hdforums.com/m_1630664/m...tm.htm#1630664Although it may or may not be responsible for my problem I will not be putting it back in. I have recommended this unit several times and would never do it again. I could not believe how tight my chain was.

Rick

Old 05-13-2007, 09:17 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: Egldr05

IMHO the HD tensioner is a total POS. Read this post. https://www.hdforums.com/m_1630664/m...tm.htm#1630664Although it may or may not be responsible for my problem I will not be putting it back in. I have recommended this unit several times and would never do it again. I could not believe how tight my chain was.

Rick
A good example why something automatic isn't always the best thing for the job. I would rather take a couple extra minutes and adjust mine the old fashioned way. I've looked at the HB125 the M6 and the HD automatics, I shake my head and move along.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:43 PM
chops
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: msocko3

ORIGINAL: Egldr05

Rick
A good example why something automatic isn't always the best thing for the job. I would rather take a couple extra minutes and adjust mine the old fashioned way. I've looked at the HB125 the M6 and the HD automatics, I shake my head and move along.
That is because the HD model is a rachet type design that will put your chain tighter than banjo string.

The HB-25 is a variable dynamic hydraulic design - your comparing apples to oranges.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

[/quote]

That is because the HD model is a rachet type design that will put your chain tighter than banjo string.

The HB-25 is a variable dynamic hydraulic design - your comparing apples to oranges.
[/quote]

I would agree either of the other tensioners would not cause the problems this POS does. It's hard to believe this thing was designed the way it was.

Rick

Old 05-13-2007, 11:10 PM
chops
Tourer

I think HD was trying to play 'catch up' as they do on lot of things...only with a bad design.
They saw the aftermarket auto tensioners taking off, and they could not stand for that. Buy patent rights for a tensioner that works? No Way! We'll 'make' our own HD design!

Evidenced by their motor oil - for years and years they would swear at syn oil - and then they come out with their CITGO made - HD branded oil, and swear it is the best out there---hardy har har

Old 05-20-2007, 11:04 PM
HwyRider
Stage I

I have a 2003 Road king with 41.5k showing on the clock.Last week I put on aHD Primary Auto Chain Tensioner on it.I'm a pretty competant wrench andI did the job right. First thing I noticed was the bike now sounded like a Waring blender at idle. I reallyfreaked150 miles later when I checked the chain and discovered no slack at all and practically no give on the auto tensioner.Off came the auto tensioner and back on went the manual.This eliminated the noise. The next day discussing the problem with a wrench at a local HD dealerhe advised me to leave it off. The problem with a too tight chain (besides excessive chain and sprocket wear)is damage to crank and tranny shaft bearings & seals leading to oil leaks and big bucks repair jobs. I'm staying with the manual from here on in.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:47 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: sidewinder

Will this solve the problem of the current chain tensioners wearing out prematurely? I have a 05 deluxe and would like to make the change if I am on the right track. I am trying to learn all this. What are the advantages for me to make this switch? Thanks everyone. Mark
I've heard of TC cam-chain tensioners wearing out prematurely, but not the auto primary-chain tensioners. The only complains I've heard are that they adjust the chain too tight (mine doesn't) and whine (mine does).

Old 05-25-2007, 06:39 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is the exact opposite. Never whined but the chain is as tight as a board.
Gary D.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:45 AM
cglofland
Cruiser

You read my earlier post where I put the automatic tensioner in, like the others drove me nuts with whine, and out it came, found a bidder on e-bay and didn't lose too much.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:49 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

The Primary chain gets measured at it 's tightest point right? So what's this super fast method of finding the tightest point on the primary chain that you guys have found so you can do these couple minetes chain adjust at the ??

Quick Reply: automatic primary chain tensioner