Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

automatic primary chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:53 AM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: automatic primary chain tensioner

ORIGINAL: sidewinder

Thanks guys. See, I am already learning. Are the cam tesioners replaceable to the gear driven as a do it yourself project? Any special tools needed? Or is this better left to the local wrench.
Have you bought a service manual for your bike yet? Pick one up and peruse through it. The gear drive conversion will require about $300 worth of specialty tools(which some places online rent for cheap cash). If your mechanically inclined its a pretty easy job with the right tools and a service manual in hand.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sidewinder, realistically you should let a wrench do the cam gear conversion. As long as he's in there it won't cost any or much more to have him install a new set of cams.
Also, a lot of HD owners claim the automatic primary tensioner improves shifting. I will find out next spring. I just bought a HB 125.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:21 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: Wally

Also, a lot of HD owners claim the automatic primary tensioner improves shifting. I will find out next spring. I just bought a HB 125.
Untrue, they do nothing for the shifting at all. I have dealt with the HB-125, Hayden M6 and even the new HD tensioner. None of them improve shifting, or finding neutral or any of the other claims they may try to state. Just a lazyman's product for someone who doesnt want to regularly inspect and on occasion adjust his primary tensioner.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:03 AM
CptKaos
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The auto adjusters are a waste of money, IMHO. Under normal conditions after the chain gets broken in it doesnt require adjusting very often. On top of that it adds extra parts which increase the possibility of a problem.

Larry

Old 12-12-2005, 01:13 AM
MegaHDman
Banned

Exactly.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:14 AM
FXDWG3
Cruiser

I have been looking at the MOCO unit over the HB-125 since I'm still under warranty.

Automatic Primary Chain Tension Adjuster

Original Equipment on 2006 Dynaâ„¢ models, this Automatic Primary Chain Adjuster eliminates the need to manually adjust the primary chain tension at traditional service intervals.

40063-05

Fits '85-later Evolution 1340 and Twin Cam powertrain. Requires separate purchase of model specific primary gasket and seals.

MSRP US $99.95

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5915/EC20BBB3AE0147F4BD572B27B7B8EF9A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-08-2006, 04:47 PM
jrlaidle
Advanced

OK. So, what is the easiest way to adjust the chain? I attempted to do it when I changed my oil about a month ago. I think I got it good, but it was a real PITA to get a tape in there and measure the thing. Also, everytime I tried to move the assembly, it would fall to the bottom and then I would have to start over. A freind of mine told me to remove the primary cover to adjust it, but I would rather do it through the inspection port. I rode it today, it felt fine, and didn't make any noise, so I think it is okay. So, what exactly is the trick for a proper adjustment?

Old 01-08-2006, 05:40 PM
fxdxsteve
Banned

take an old coat hanger and bend a piece of it into a j shape so you can use the tape measure on the outside of the primary cover

Old 01-09-2006, 11:35 AM
brian1
Banned

I have been thinking about a tensioner, what are your thoughts about the factory HD unit and the HB125

Old 01-09-2006, 09:50 PM
fxdxsteve
Banned

myself I have to agree with megahdman they're not as good as inspecting at every oil change and adjusting as needed

Quick Reply: automatic primary chain tensioner