Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

automatic primary chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 02:10 AM
sidewinder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: automatic primary chain tensioner

Will this solve the problem of the current chain tensioners wearing out prematurely? I have a 05 deluxe and would like to make the change if I am on the right track. I am trying to learn all this. What are the advantages for me to make this switch? Thanks everyone. Mark

Old 12-03-2005, 03:16 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: billbarket

Wondering if it would be wise to go to a automatic primary chain tensioner on a 00 Ultra 1450 SE stage one and if so which self adjuster is recommended?

Hayden M6 self adjuster from J&P
Hydraulic Automatic Chain Tensioner from J&P
The new HD hydraulic self adjuster from Harley

Truth be told, I don't like any of them. All they do is add parts content to your motor(ie: more to go wrong). They don't add anything in terms of performance, they don't improve shifting or add anything beneficial at all(and the video on the HB125 site is a joke), all they do is give you another reason not to check your primary on occasion. I personally don't know why people think its such a hassle to check the primary tension and fluid every so often. It only takes a few minutes to check and adjust.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:08 PM
sidewinder
Cruiser

MegaHDman,
I don't think it is a hassle to check it, I am asking what I can do to avoid the history of the tensioner failures. I was wondering if this was a fix for that problem. I am trying to do what I can to avoid problems by taking preventative measures. I am new to HD and am learning as I go. Thanks for any advice. Mark

Old 12-03-2005, 05:32 PM
ROADTRAIN
Road Captain

I have the HB-125 fitted to all my Harleys and they perform as intended. As your chain starts to wear you can only adjust at the tihgtest piont with standard setup,the HB-125 takes care of that problem. All the spring loaded adjusters do much the same job.

Old 12-03-2005, 06:17 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: sidewinder

MegaHDman,
I don't think it is a hassle to check it, I am asking what I can do to avoid the history of the tensioner failures. I was wondering if this was a fix for that problem. I am trying to do what I can to avoid problems by taking preventative measures. I am new to HD and am learning as I go. Thanks for any advice. Mark
Tensioner failers? Are you talking about the plastic tensioner shoe breaking? Tensioner failure really hasnt been an issue. I know EMC makes some steel wing inserts to strengthen the plastic tensioner shoe, and that is really only needed for serious high HP builds. I myself have only replaced a handful of tensioner shoes on Twin cams. And pretty much all of them had a ton of miliage on em and were at the point of needing replacement anyway. All those "auto tensioners" do is reduce the need to inspect and adjust the primary chain. But I personally dont think that is a good habit(not checking and adjusting) to get into. Its a lazyman product.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:19 PM
sidewinder
Cruiser

https://www.hdforums.com/m_127891/tm.htm

Here is what I am talking about. I am under the impression from reading here that this can happen as soon as a few thousand miles resulting in serious engine damage. Not true?

Old 12-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Mega, I'm with you. I like to look inside every oil change and in inspect the tension, look at the chain wear, etc. It takes minutes, while the oil is draining, and I know what is going on.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:18 PM
fxdxsteve
Banned

Will this solve the problem of the current chain tensioners wearing out prematurely? I have a 05 deluxe and would like to make the change if I am on the right track. I am trying to learn all this. What are the advantages for me to make this switch? Thanks everyone. Mark
no they are talking primary tensioners the premature wear is on the cam chain

Old 12-03-2005, 10:39 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: sidewinder

https://www.hdforums.com/m_127891/tm.htm

Here is what I am talking about. I am under the impression from reading here that this can happen as soon as a few thousand miles resulting in serious engine damage. Not true?
That thread is showing the cam chain tensioners located inside the camchest on the other side of the engine and deals with camshafts in the engine. The common cure for that is to go with S&S gear drive conversion kit.

The HB125, Hayden M6 and similiar products are made for the primary chain(in which the clutch basket and compensator sprocket are housed)that couples the engine to the transmission, they basically act just like the cam chain tensioners in practice though.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 AM
sidewinder
Cruiser

Thanks guys. See, I am already learning. Are the cam tesioners replaceable to the gear driven as a do it yourself project? Any special tools needed? Or is this better left to the local wrench.

Quick Reply: automatic primary chain tensioner