Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Hopefully quick clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 01:23 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Ok I had another go at it as per RIPSAWs post and it's definitely better. I'm now at 3/4 of a turn and the cable slack was around 1/8", it's now 1/16". On closer inspection my fluid level was high, I took about 100mls out and it feels much better. So thank you all once again for the help, it's very much appreciated!!
Cheers, Matt.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:44 AM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

having too much in there turns the clutch pack into a viscous coupling

Old 12-03-2016, 05:30 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Thanks for that. I actually have a very similar picture that I have always gone by. I guess it got away from me a bit on the last service, it's so bloody hard to see in there!!

Old 12-03-2016, 05:34 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Mine actually shows a little higher. I wonder which one is correct?

Attached Thumbnails Hopefully quick clutch question-photo156.jpg  
Old 12-03-2016, 06:45 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,984 Likes on 4,175 Posts

I have seen that higher level also. Think Harley came out with that when the went to the side mounted glue on drip pan that mounts inside on the face of the cover. They also increased the fluid amount slightly. On bikes with cruise control and steady high speed interstate driving, the oil was being kept in an outer circle as the chain spun starving the compensator of lubrication.
This does not happen in varied speed with stop and go driving. Mainly, running the upper level like your sketch will just make a little harsher clunk when you shift into 1st when bike is cold (New bikes have a special clutch that breaks disk apart better now..thinks there is more belleville spring damper rings in it)). Finding neutral is more a practice and small muscle control that some people always struggle with..(Like golf??HA!) (all this is just my engineering opinion...
Be sure bike is level, make you a little bent dip stick that you can drop in and catch it on the lip and spin it to see if it hits the oil level. Note what it takes and right it down. Now for now on, just pour it in noting the level on the bottle. That works for me. Mine only needs 26 ozs. Five speed Transmission only needs 24 ozs on my 2004 Softail.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:45 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

A little on the low side is MUCH better than being a touch too full.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:19 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Be sure it's cold before adjusting. Then have the correct oil in it as far as velocity and that it is at the bottom of the clutch diaphragm spring. Now here is where Harley is wrong. Only back off the cable length a few turns at most. Now break the clutch lock nut and screw the adjuster in till it bottoms. Now, turn it in two more complete turns in to deburr that fine thread adjuster. Now back back out a few and then back in till it touches again. Now do your 1/2 to 3/4 turn back off and tighten the locknut. (note that fine thread only requires 72 in/lbs torque..everyone over tightens it and is why you need to deburr thread as I say above) That will give you clearance required so even if it gets smoking hot and swells, there will be clearance room.
Now adjust the clearance on the cable to a maximum of 1/16 or 1.6 MM checking at both locks sides of the bars. That will give you all the throw possible to completely disengage of the clutch drive and driven disks.
Now only try to find neutral from low. Pushing bike back slightly with your right leg as you lever up will probably help.

Not sure were Mark got that 1/4 backoff except for a Sporty which is a front side coarse thread push rod which on them, you can use that amount.
OP was asking what would get him more throw or disengagement 3/4 or a 1/4. The answer is a 1/4.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Thanks Mark, that definitely answers my original question. What I've found now is neutral is a bit easier to find, but I put that down to the bit of primary fluid I took out. The problem now is gear changes aren't as smooth and I really have to pull the clutch all the way back to the grip to get it to disengage properly. So I'm thinking that if I go from 3/4 back to 1/4 that should help with that, I just worried about maybe getting some high speed slipping when it heats up. Am I on the right track? And maybe I just have to keep fiddling with it to find a happy medium?
Cheers, Matt.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:25 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

One thing I learned on this forum about difficulty finding neutral was, while the clutch lever is pulled in , give the throttle a quick rev and as the RPMs are dropping, shift into neutral. Works on my bike every time.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,984 Likes on 4,175 Posts

If you only back it off 1/4 turn from a true zero free play on a large cruiser, that will only give you about .012 clearance to divide between all those disk. If it gets hot and they all swell, you may just run out of free play and destroy that throw out bearing. since it will spinning all the time.
Use 1/2 turn as a minimum. Then keep the free play in the cable to the minimum. That way, you will get more then enough disk separation since it comes from lever travel. (minimum cable free-play results in maximum clutch plate separation)

If you ever have the primary cover off, you will clearly see this when you pull the lever in and see the plates separate. If you still have clutch drag, you just may have some warped plates from heat.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Hopefully quick clutch question