Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Leak at inner primary from behind transmission sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016 | 07:41 AM
wideglideCVO
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Leak at inner primary from behind transmission sprocket

Finally traced down my leak after cleaning all the grime and oil from under my bike. Looks like it is behind the inner primary where my transmission sprocket is. Watched several Youtube videos how to replace the seal and bearing. I got a quote for a shop to do it for $500. New bearing and race included with new seals and gaskets. I would like to do it myself to save money but am a little worried about screwing something up. I would also have to purchase certain tools that I don't have to do it. What would you do invest in the tools or have a repair shop do it?

Old 11-15-2016 | 09:20 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Not exactly sure what bring you are replacing. Kinda sounds like the main drive gear bearing which is inside the tranny. If so you'll need a number of special tools to perform the task. If it's simply the inner primary bearing and seals, less tools are required. Look at service manual for more information. I invested in and made some of the tools as I like doing this work. Unless you are an experienced mechanic, might be better to have someone do the work for you.

Old 11-15-2016 | 09:32 AM
wideglideCVO
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Not exactly sure what bring you are replacing. Kinda sounds like the main drive gear bearing which is inside the tranny. If so you'll need a number of special tools to perform the task. If it's simply the inner primary bearing and seals, less tools are required. Look at service manual for more information. I invested in and made some of the tools as I like doing this work. Unless you are an experienced mechanic, might be better to have someone do the work for you.
Its the inner primary bearing and seal. I like to do my own work also, pretty good at mechanical.

Old 11-15-2016 | 09:34 AM
RiverB
Tourer

I'm at the point where I will invest in the tools and do everything and anything myself. While I value my time (labor) greatly, I value the process of doing the work and sense of accomplishment even more. That doesn't mean it makes any economic sense whatsoever.

Be prepared for things to go frighteningly wrong, need hard-to-get parts and tools you didn't anticipate, wear and damage you didn't either, and for it to take 10 times longer than you thought. I have numerous horror stories, but I'm proud of them - even my stupid mistakes. I even destroyed a $300+ bearing puller and still got the job done. So it goes.

I have the luxury of time, discretionary income, and spare Harleys to ride. If you don't, or don't have the temperament to deal with setbacks and your own stupid mistakes, take it to a reputable shop. Don't let the shop get away with setting unreasonable expectations as to how long you'll be without the bike.

Old 11-15-2016 | 09:54 AM
wideglideCVO
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by RiverB
I'm at the point where I will invest in the tools and do everything and anything myself. While I value my time (labor) greatly, I value the process of doing the work and sense of accomplishment even more. That doesn't mean it makes any economic sense whatsoever.

Be prepared for things to go frighteningly wrong, need hard-to-get parts and tools you didn't anticipate, wear and damage you didn't either, and for it to take 10 times longer than you thought. I have numerous horror stories, but I'm proud of them - even my stupid mistakes. I even destroyed a $300+ bearing puller and still got the job done. So it goes.

I have the luxury of time, discretionary income, and spare Harleys to ride. If you don't, or don't have the temperament to deal with setbacks and your own stupid mistakes, take it to a reputable shop. Don't let the shop get away with setting unreasonable expectations as to how long you'll be without the bike.
I hear you. I would rather do it myself and know it has been done by the book. The tools will be used again down the road and will pay for themselves. I also enjoy taking on the challenge. Thanks for the advise I think I made my mind up to do it myself.

Old 11-15-2016 | 10:00 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by wideglideCVO
Its the inner primary bearing and seal. I like to do my own work also, pretty good at mechanical.

IPB is not too bad.. You need the mainshaft IPB race removal / install tools, a Jam bar to lock the primary and 200 fp TQ wrench, 1 3/16 socket for the clutch and a good 6 point for the crank bolt (forgot the size). A press is really helpful for inner primary bearing RnR.. Someone probably makes tools to do it without a press but it's a good excuse to get one..

The following users liked this post:
wideglideCVO (11-15-2016)
Old 11-16-2016 | 02:02 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

With the FSM and suitable tools.....

Old 11-16-2016 | 07:46 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

I was plagued with a leak in the same spot. Long story short a moron tried using a cut off wheel to get my OEM bearing out and would up scoring my trans shaft. After much problems getting the exploded view, manual, and parts, I learned how to take apart & put together a RevTech 6 speed. I do not recommend buying any of their products as support is horrendous and give you a list of authorized shops in a 100 mile circle. I found none had any kind of clue how to work on them after questioning them. I did it myself.

After a new main shaft assembly I pressed in an All ***** sealed bearing and oil seal. Done.

The following users liked this post:
wideglideCVO (11-17-2016)