Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Belt adjustment - special HD tools

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007 | 10:07 AM
barkster99
|
Tourer
Default Belt adjustment - special HD tools

You guys have the special HD tools fordrive belt adjustments?

Did my own 5K service yesterday (07 RK Classic) and that's the one thing I'm stuck on. And I'm pretty sure my belt is loose. Service manual indicates a spring loaded gizmo to apply 10 lbs. force and a special wrench tofit right axle nut (without removing muffler).

Just curious what others are doing. Guess I'll save enough, one time,by doing it myself to pay for the tools anyway. Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-27-2007 | 10:11 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Belt adjustment - special HD tools

I'll be in the minority. I bought one of those spring gizmos. I don't see much benefit of it. My indy buddy told me to basically pretend that the belt was a gallon of milk that I was picking up on my finger and guess at that pressure when checking the belt. At any rate, I keep a check on the belt using that method. I've only "had" to adjust the belt once in 65k miles.

Old 07-26-2007 | 12:22 PM
4x4Given
Tourer

I just had to respond to this.

I took a 1 gallon jug of water (full to the top) and weighed it. It came in at 9.71 lbs.

I laid down next to the bike and with my body, arm, hand and my index finger in the same position I woulduse to check the belt tension, I placed the jug of water on the tip of my index finger and lifted it up and down as if I were checking the belt tension. I did this a number of times until I had a "feel" for the amount of force required.

I removed the jug, slid 6" stoward the bike and checked the belt tension. Hmmm... right on the money.

I repeated the jug (feel) test again and then repeated the checking of the belt. Same results.

One more time, just for good measure and to "practice" getting a "feel" for doing this. Really not much different than playing an instrument.

Old 07-26-2007 | 02:37 PM
chops
Tourer

You can take your belt, in mid span, and twist with your fingers. 45 degree twistis the goal, any less and the belt is too tight, any more and it is too loose.