Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Inside of Primary Chewed Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 01:13 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts
Default Inside of Primary Chewed Up

I've been having a banging/clanking that I think has been coming from the primary in an '06 Fatboy. Stock, except stage 1; 10K on bike. Posted in this thread here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...nock-help.html

Pulled primary apart and found the inside of the outer primary cover is chewed up. Found a small (1/8") piece if metal in the oil, nothing else seemed at all damaged. Would a 1/8" piece of metal rattling around in there sound like a 1/2" bolt banging around in a coffee can?

Compensator bolt was tight, used a 3/4" drive breaker bar with and cheater and me standing on it to get it loose. Starter ring gear on clutch has a few chipped up teeth on inside edge, starter jack pinion gear teeth are perfect.

Inner bearings are good, sound good with mechanics stethascope, no play, etc... No engine or tranny oil contamination in primary.

I suppose the noise could be coming from elsewhere, like cam bearings; but cant detect anything unusual at idle or revving in neutral.

Ideas?

1/8" piece of metal

Chewed up primary case

Chipped starter ring teeth

Old 04-25-2016, 10:19 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Not the expert for this problem but do have a few questions/observations:

The "chewed up" outer primary cover - the area in question looks dark, not shiny like something new has cut it up, maybe just a manufacturing flaw?

Can you post pics of the compensator parts - wandering how they look, any beat up, scratched up areas there?

That little piece of metal probably came off your ring teeth but I cannot imagine it causing any audible noises.

How well does your bike start up, any kick back or unusal sounds?

Just kinda thinking a bad comp might cause problems during start and be the reason your ring teeth are damaged....

Old 04-26-2016, 10:50 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Not the expert for this problem but do have a few questions/observations:

The "chewed up" outer primary cover - the area in question looks dark, not shiny like something new has cut it up, maybe just a manufacturing flaw?

Can you post pics of the compensator parts - wandering how they look, any beat up, scratched up areas there?

That little piece of metal probably came off your ring teeth but I cannot imagine it causing any audible noises.

How well does your bike start up, any kick back or unusual sounds?

Just kinda thinking a bad comp might cause problems during start and be the reason your ring teeth are damaged....
The chewed up part is actually lighter in color, the finish has been scraped up; doesn't show too well in photo.

To me, the comp looks pretty good. I've included a couple of pics. A little worn on the pointed edges, but not too bad IMO.

Bike wasn't tuned very well when I bought it last year, started hard a few times. That could explain the chipped starter teeth. Had the Fuel Pak updated and a new map, fires up easy now. No bang or clunk when starting.

What do you think of the compensator?

Thanks for your input, most appreciated!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

To me the compensator tooth profile looks like the tips are very thin in your pictures. Looks like the primary chain was too loos for too long and wore the tooth profile down possibly allowing the primary chain to smack the inner primary

Old 04-26-2016, 01:27 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

To me, like you said, the compensator cam parts look OK. Different model of comp that I had but similar parts - running the Baker now. Can you post a pic of the sprocket retainer?

Those bad starts sound like the culprit for the ring gear but I am still curious what could be causing the loud noises - chain tensioner look OK?

Old 04-26-2016, 01:33 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
To me the compensator tooth profile looks like the tips are very thin in your pictures. Looks like the primary chain was too loos for too long and wore the tooth profile down possibly allowing the primary chain to smack the inner primary
I like this theory.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:14 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
When I got the bike last year, chain was pretty loose; despite having had dealer service within the last 1K. Yes, I thought the teeth were a bit sharp too, but didn't have anything to compare to. The area that is scraped up, is right when the chain passes off the tensionser, but chain isn't banged up; harder material though.

I'll probably replace the compensator.

HDPilot - Chain was right in specs when I pulled the cover, tensionser was good.

Thanks to all of you for your help!