Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Shifter Shaft Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 03:03 PM
trekez2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Shaft Seal Leak

Recently I replaced the IPB and seal on my 08 Dyna 6 speed and all went well... While in there I also replaced the shift shaft seal. This did not go well, I struggled to get the old one out. I tried various methods I found on forums.

While drilling for a screw hole the bit walked around and nicked the shaft and bore. Yes I got frustrated and careless and was rewarded with a small leak. BTW I was finally able to pull it out using a better shaped pick then used on the first try.

Now I'm thinking about finding a possibly better seal than the current HD then adding an o-ring between the seal and washer and hoping for the best.

Does anyone have any experience with this short of replacing the trans case and shifter shaft?

Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by trekez2
While drilling for a screw hole the bit walked around and nicked the shaft and bore. Yes I got frustrated and careless and was rewarded with a small leak. BTW I was finally able to pull it out using a better shaped pick then used on the first try. Now I'm thinking about finding a possibly better seal than the current HD then adding an o-ring between the seal and washer and hoping for the best. Does anyone have any experience with this short of replacing the trans case and shifter shaft?
Without pictures it is difficult to say but I doubt that the nick in the bore is a problem and would not require replacing the trans case. You can try what you are proposing but if the shaft is nicked where the seal rides, it will leak. There is a better seal made by Cometic. I guess it's worth a try and if the leak becomes a seep that doesn't make a mess and can be cleaned you can put off the more arduous job of replacing the shift shaft but eventually, IMHO, that is what will be required to stop the leak. As you probably know, it's a labor intensive job but not one to be afraid of if you have the service manual and a good set of tools. There are some specialty tools required but there is a DIY work around for most of them.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:19 PM
trekez2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input djl. I have heard that Cometic seals were considered better than OEM on 5 speeds, I will get in touch with them and find out what they offer. I'm guessing that the seal lip is exactly where the damage is.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:08 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by trekez2
Thanks for your input djl. I have heard that Cometic seals were considered better than OEM on 5 speeds, I will get in touch with them and find out what they offer. I'm guessing that the seal lip is exactly where the damage is.
That OEM seal is a real mystery. The early seals were double lip but for some reason in '07 I think, the MoCo decided to return to a single lip seal which makes no sense. The seal in the later models are much more difficult to remove than the early models because the seal "case" is different and fits so close to the shaft that it is hard to drill for sheet metal screws without danger of nicking the shaft; as you have unfortunately discovered. I believe the Cometic PN is C9354 but not sure. When you call Cometic ask if the seal is double lip. If it is, you have a fighting chance; otherwise, the shaft will have to be replaced.