Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Trans/swingarm separate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 11:10 PM
Toyman
|
Tourer
Default Trans/swingarm separate?

I've taken my swing arm& trans out of my 82 FXRS as a unit as I cannot get it appart.

How do you take it appart?

Old 05-06-2007 | 11:01 AM
Toyman
|
Tourer
Default RE: Trans/swingarm separate?

I'll just have to reply to this myself.
It is not a job you want to do.
I soaked it for days with PB Blaster.
Then started smacking it good with a 2 pound hammer and gotthe center shaftabout 1 1/2".
Then took it to a shop & put it in a 10 ton press & got it about a third of the way & ran out of tooling to push with.
I'm now going to clean up the exposed shaft and try to run it back the other direction.
Hopefully I'll have it appart today so I can paint it.
ORIGINAL: Toyman

I've taken my swing arm& trans out of my 82 FXRS as a unit as I cannot get it appart.

How do you take it appart?

Old 05-10-2007 | 11:37 AM
underboss
Intermediate

Did you get it separated? That shaft is notorious for being difficult. Any idea why it is such a problem? I would expect antiseize would help for the next time before putting it back.

Old 05-10-2007 | 10:10 PM
Toyman
|
Tourer

Yes I did but what a job. Your right about the antiseize. If HD would have spent less than 10 cents per shaft these would not be such a bear. I'm certain moisture finds it's way in and corrodes the tight tolerance between the trans. boss & the shaft.

ORIGINAL: underboss

Did you get it separated? That shaft is notorious for being difficult. Any idea why it is such a problem? I would expect antiseize would help for the next time before putting it back.

Old 05-28-2007 | 05:25 PM
LowGlyd
Novice

Im doing the exact same thing on my '84fxrs. i had to remove the two as a unit also and am about at witts end.
It seems that the press is THE way to go, eh???
Let me know how it went.

Old 05-29-2007 | 12:17 AM
Toyman
|
Tourer

The shaft gets' seized to the trans. boss. Pentration fluid can't get to it. I got it apart by driving it back & forth with a drift punch, large BFH and PB Blaster. Don't attempt this project unless you have to. I ended up distroying the shaft, bushings & seals before I got it out. Thank God the trans & swingarm came through it ok.

Old 05-29-2007 | 05:56 PM
Stkman
Advanced

Had the same problem getting the shaft out, all corrode up. The bushings are not easy either, had to buy a socket and turn down the opening to fit the edge of the bushing so I could press the new bushing in. I had one go in it was hard but got it in using all thread and the socket, but the other side would not go, even tried freezing it and still would not go. Took it HD and had them try and they broke there tool and told me to come and get the swing arm they had never seen one so hard. I end up getting some 7/16 grade 8 all thread and used antiseize on the bushing to get that bushing in. Got lucky finlly and got the measurement right for the trans to slip in between the bushings. Make sure you put it together with antiseize. Good Luck.

Old 06-07-2007 | 11:25 PM
LowGlyd
Novice

i put it on a 20 tonpress and nearlyfoldedthe three quarter inch steel plates. it popped once, maybe an eighth of an inch, and never moved again. i have another tranny case that im replacing the original with, soi ended up drilling andsplitting the tranny case to remove the shaft. my goal was to keep the swing arm reguardless of the case and thats what ended up happening.all praise antisieze! the rebuild begins.

Old 06-07-2007 | 11:43 PM
bigjohn1percenter
Tourer

been there, done that job several times, a BFH and time going side to side will get it done............. sometimes the shaft seizes in the trans, sometime in the cleveblocks, no matter, its a bitch job to do.............