Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Reduced Effort Clutch (HD)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 09:45 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Reduced Effort Clutch (HD)

HD has come out with a reduced effort clutch setup that is standard in the 06's and available as a retrofit to older models.

You can find info on it... HERE

These are the HD installation instructions... HERE

Here's a write up from jtouchette covering his installation...

I cut the bottom from a plastic 1 gallon milk container and drained the tranny fluid to reuse it as it only had about 1k on it. I also reused the clutch cover gaskets (rubber ring) I did replace the gasket on the mechanism side, just to be on the safe side. All totaled I had about $100 in both bikes. They work fantastic and there are no leaks. Also, they were a breeze to install (about 1 hour each). Word of warning, on the Road King you will likely have to loosen the exhaust to get to the clutch cable mechanism to install the new part.

(One think I can add here for Jim is that if you cut the short end of the 1/4 allen wrench down to just long enough to seat in the head of the bolt, you probably will not have to loosen the exhaust at all, you break the 6 bolts loose and unscrew them lifting the trans cover up and over the exhaust with the bolts still in the cover.)

You do NOT need to drain the primary case oil. On the clutch pack side...remove the clutch pack inspection cover then remove the retaining plate bolts and pull the old spring up against the primary cover with a little bit sticking out, then yank it out, don't worry...it WILL come out. To put the new spring in, bend it slightly while inserting it into the primary cover, when you feel like it is fairly tight against the opening, tap it in with a rubber mallet to get it into the cover. Reinstall the retaining bolts (torque to specs) then replace the cover. Like i said, i reused the gasket, you do what you want.

After you drain the tranny fluid, adjust the clutch cable to remove ALL tension then remove the bolts on the clutch cable cover and pull it away from the bike. Follow the instructions that come with the kit, you WILL need a set of snap ring pliers as the ramp and ball mechanism is retained by a very strong snap ring.

When you have everything put back together, don't forget to adjust your clutch
I assure you that it is WELL worth the effort.