Prayer Requests Post your Prayer Requests here.

Fellow Biker needs you

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:56 PM
scubabike420
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fellow Biker needs you

Helmets are proven to reduce head injuries.
Please provide your proof. No anocedotal evidence from doctors and paramedics. No logic of reason. Actual data that shows helmets reduce head injuries at highway speeds. Email Snell and ask them why they don't do impact testing above 13 mph. Ask them about the critical thresholdlimit for head injuriesand how it is applied to their testing. On the surface rapping your head in something would appear to provide protection, but real life data to support this is very thin. In the world of work place safety back belts have been pushed as a device to prevent back injuries, but myself and many other safety professions wanted to see the proof. So after decades of pushing back belts manufacturers were unable to show proof. The federal government took a look at it and wouldn't you know, back belts aren't effective at preventing back injuries.

So now you have a private organization, Snell, who certifies helmets. Wouldn't this organization benefit from publishing hard data on the effectiveness of helmets? Instead of hard data, they make statements like: Auto racing, motorcycling, bicycling, skiing and any activity that incorporates speed, agility and a head all impose risks of head injury leading to death or permanent disability. Helmets are the single most effective means of preventing these injuries. That seems like a pretty good endorsement for wearing a helmet until you realize that it is just a statement on the order of effectiveness. What is the second most effective means?

Brain injuries during head trama is not linear. Once the threshold is met, the brain is seriously damaged. A helmet either prevents that threshold from being met or it doesn't. Just like a condom either prevents her from getting pregnant or it doesn't. Their is no in between. This misconception that a persons brain damage was limited due to the wearing of a helmet is not supported by medical work in the area of head trama. Its either scrammbled eggs or it isn't.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys lets not turn this thread into yet another helmet debate

Old 06-13-2007, 06:30 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What more proof do you need than common knowledge. Helmets cushion the initial blow...Often the first one. Even if it breaks clean in half ... It would still have done it's job. No one argues that they save lives every time, or prevents brain damage100 % ... that's ludicrous. They simply reduce the risk of injury...period! Considering the alternative...If you weren't wearing one, and you had an accident that resulted in a skull crushing blow, you wouldn't have a chance ... PERIOD! At least if you had worn a helmet ... you would have a chance ... even if were a slim chance ... It's still a chance. Odds are more in your favour of surviving.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Pray for Adam
2nd Gear

Thanks to all for your prayers for Adam! I am his mom, and I signed onto your forum when I heard of the discussion posted on here. We know that my son had the helmet on when he was hit. It somehow came off when the car hit him. We think it did save his life because his head went through the windshield of the car. I thank God for that helmet. Adam is still in serious condition, and his recovery is going to be a long road, but I am so very gratefull that he is here to walk that road. Please hold him in prayer.He needs all of you.Adam's Mom

Old 06-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not a praying man but god seems to heed the call when it is made. I am sure Adam is on that list. Godspeed to your son and family.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pray for Adam

Thanks to all for your prayers for Adam! I am his mom, and I signed onto your forum when I heard of the discussion posted on here. We know that my son had the helmet on when he was hit. It somehow came off when the car hit him. We think it did save his life because his head went through the windshield of the car. I thank God for that helmet. Adam is still in serious condition, and his recovery is going to be a long road, but I am so very gratefull that he is here to walk that road. Please hold him in prayer. He needs all of you. Jeannie McKee
Prayers & positive thoughts sent your way Mrs McKee

Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 PM
cstolp
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

Guys lets not turn this thread into yet another helmet debate
Yes please show some respect for the young man. You want to argue about helmets start another post please.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
tga
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Pray for Adam

Thanks to all for your prayers for Adam! I am his mom, and I signed onto your forum when I heard of the discussion posted on here. We know that my son had the helmet on when he was hit. It somehow came off when the car hit him. We think it did save his life because his head went through the windshield of the car. I thank God for that helmet. Adam is still in serious condition, and his recovery is going to be a long road, but I am so very gratefull that he is here to walk that road. Please hold him in prayer.He needs all of you. Jeannie McKee
Ms. McKee, I hope and pray your son, Adam, fully recovers.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Psycho
Road Master

My life has been saved by a good helmet. Twice.

Prayers sent, I know the road he's walking.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

My prayers go out to this young man too.

Now, to the members here on the forum. Go some place else to argue your anti/pro helmet opinions. This is a prayer request.

Terry

Quick Reply: Fellow Biker needs you