Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

How much paint to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How much paint to buy?

I've seen so many different opinions and am stuck between a pint and a quart. I obviously don't want to come up short nor end up buying way more than I need. So, how much would I need using a PPG with a 1:1 reducer to simply refinish a tank and two fenders on my 07 FXDL.

Stepping it out further, my black 98 Triumph really needs to be repainted as well. I'm really liking my selected HD Black Pearl 905208 and thought I might kill two birds with one stone. That would add a tank, two fenders and two side covers. May lay a silver skunk stripe in this dark charcole metallic but that is another topic.

So, how much unreduced base to easily do my Low Rider. Could I just get by with a just a pint? Would a quart be more than enough to paint both bikes.

What is the general rule of thumb on coverage? I read someplace that a quart would do four baggers?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 AM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A pint of base color should be enough for a tank and 2 fenders. But that is somewhat dependent on what you're painting over and the color you're using. Some colors require more coats for complete coverage. And if your parts are not all the same color you need more coats for coverage, for example if they are just spot primed.

Also I used a full quart of orange on a bagger. Not sure how someone would do 4.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Tomh1962
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it's always better to have a little left over, than not enough... just mix what you think you'll need for the part your working on. If ya run a little short, you can always whip up a little more... if you don't buy enough, and run out, now you're taking the risk of getting a different lot# or the shade could be slightly off, or you have to wait till the paint store opens... all kinds of scenario's can go awry here... get the quart and have peace of mind... you can always store the extra away for touch up, or if you add bags or a fairing later...