Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Powdercoat stock HD shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 AM
bobbin87
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powdercoat stock HD shocks

I was wondering if it were possible? Regular old rear spring shocks on my 06 street bob. The springs have some pretty nice rust on there from the previous owner not storing it properly..maybe? Either way, is this possible? How difficult is it to remove these shocks? Any special tools required or is it hard to get back on with the proper setting. I don't know anything about the suspension on the Harley yet. I can't really tell if the stock shocks have adjuster on them or if they are just set to a general spring.

Let me know what you guys think! SCHOOL ME!

Thanks in advance

Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can powder them.
I assume you just take out the upper and lower bolts and remove the whole assembly.
then you can take the coil off of the shock and have them powdered.

A spanner wrench will be needed to adjust the preload of these. OR just leave them alone and once powder and put the back together as they were.
You'll need two people to re-install i think as you'll need to compress the spring to get it to line up with the bolt holes.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

we offer a full tear down, coating and reassemble package for customers... they come out great!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 PM
bobbin87
Novice

Originally Posted by JRK5892
we offer a full tear down, coating and reassemble package for customers... they come out great!

Wow...that looks f**king outstanding bro! I was hoping you would respond. I was trying to send you a PM via you profile, but I could not find the option. Where can I discuss details with you about this like price, turnaround, options etc.... if an email works it is zachary.mckain@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:17 PM
bobbin87
Novice

Originally Posted by jcallesano
You can powder them.
I assume you just take out the upper and lower bolts and remove the whole assembly.
then you can take the coil off of the shock and have them powdered.

A spanner wrench will be needed to adjust the preload of these. OR just leave them alone and once powder and put the back together as they were.
You'll need two people to re-install i think as you'll need to compress the spring to get it to line up with the bolt holes.
And thank you for letting me know. I didn't know exactly how the shocks worked on these bikes. Looking at them...maybe I am retarded I do not see where the preload adjuster even is on them!

I guess I am just worried that if I just remove the bolts and they are under a lot of tension are they going to just to spring in a direction real fast haha...I don't really have a lift of anything to put the bike on to relieved all the compression...hrmmm

Last edited by bobbin87; 06-25-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 PM
wideopen4life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Preload adjuster is the cutouts in the bottom portion of shock, spanner tool can be used to increase/decrease. You can unbolt shocks and they be removed as one unit. You need somesort of compression tool to relieve tension and pull clip out of the top. There are lots of DIY spring compression tools on here & internet.