Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Peel away / tear away ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Peel away / tear away ??

My understanding you spray gold paint, then place Saran wrap on the fresh paint, then peel away... Usually to get the effect of gold leaf with a swirl effect in the gold / silver whatever color?? Any idea where I can find a read on how to do this?? I've searched the web without luck...maybe I'm calling it the wrong style??

Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 PM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're referring to "marblizing". Spray a base color, let dry. Spray another color and before it dries lay saran wrap on it and pull it off. Then finish with many coats of clear.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM
jfarrar30
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search YouTube for Ed hubbs he has a video on there similar to what you want to do. I watch his vids all the time the dude does some amazing stuff

Old 02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time

Originally Posted by abi
I think you're referring to "marblizing". Spray a base color, let dry. Spray another color and before it dries lay saran wrap on it and pull it off. Then finish with many coats of clear.
That's it. I'm off to practice on a few panels....then the HD. Can't fu bar it to much. If I do ...it'll be black again, lol. Thank you.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 PM
abi
Tourer

Originally Posted by timberland
That's it. I'm off to practice on a few panels....then the HD. Can't fu bar it to much. If I do ...it'll be black again, lol. Thank you.
Just make sure you put your second color on nice and wet and it doesn't dry to fast. If it drys to fast your won't be able to get the saran wrap on fast enough or the wrap will be hard to get off and stick to the paint. When I do it I have the sheets aleady cut to size and hanging ready to apply.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 PM
timberland
Road Master

Ok...I tested on a old fender that I had. I know for fact the thinner dried to fast as it was tacky and I had to shoot a light coat over it to blend the paint. I also found that a lot of paint is needed over the black. Sooooo, now I think I'm ready to either fu bar this whole deal up, lol or it will come out good, lol.

My thought is to lay out by flames - plastic tape off, then scotch brite the area to be painted, then squirt the marbleizing gold paint effect. After its all dried, peal the tape, apply a small hand red stripe to blend the gold to black ...then shoot clear over the whole mess. Yes??

Here is my practice mode....the lower part needed another shot of gold to place the plastic to marbleize....I didnt have enough paint on it and had to fast dry of thinner.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:34 PM
abi
Tourer

To me it looks like you're not getting enough of the gold paint removed. You should get more of a "cobweb" look and see more of the black through the gold.

A couple examples here:

Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 PM
timberland
Road Master

Hmmm, I had that similar look and thought it removed to much gold paint. Tomorrow I try again with slower dry thinner. I appreciate all your help....Ohhh when I completely screw this up, I'm making the drive straight north to Sheperd to have you fix it, lol.

Last edited by timberland; 02-16-2013 at 06:48 PM.