Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

new paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Govno
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question new paint

OK, so here's the deal. I have a 100th anniversary Dyna Low Rider. When I got it I thought it was a "special" bike or so the dealer made it see so..."see the small pin striping, if you look closely it actually says Harley Davidson"...

Now that I have it, I see the same bike, in different variations, all over the place...

#1. About how much does a new paint job cost?

#2. I'm not that mechanically inclined. Not sure I could take more the the front fender off myself. I assume that you have to take the tank and fenders to someone to paint. So how would I accomplish this?

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Emdog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not difficult to take the tins off. A bolt in the front of the tank and one at the back, then unscrew the petcock and drain the gas... unhook the rubber hose at the front that transfers gas to both sides of tank, yhen lift off tank. Rear fender simply has a couple bolts going through each strut and a bolt at the front of fender. You will probably have to cut the wires to the turn signals. As for paint, a lot of variables...color, single or double stage, design etc, and who painter is. Probably lookn at $1000 to $4000. You can also find a set already painted that you like on Ebay and even sell your original tins to help with the expense. Hope this helps.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 PM
death trap
Advanced

I would be hesitent on painting over a good clean set of aniversary tins. Maybe look into picking up a of tins or oiecing together a set to have painted. The rear fender is the trickiest piece to take off. Prices vairy greatly, but so does quality. That in no way means a more expencive paint gob is better or that cheaper ones suck. don't just ask for prices, ask to see paintwork done by the painters you get quotes from so you know what to expect. I have seen nice work for $500 or less and horible work for alot more.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 AM
beyondthepaint
Cruiser

I would agree with death trap, try to find another set of tins to paint. Your bike would hold more value if you retain the stock sheet metal. There are plenty on Ebay reasonably priced. I also agree about the painter, if you go on price alone...........you will probably be disappointed in the results. Check references, and look at what the painter has actually painted, not just pictures. Just because someone paints cars for a living does not make them a good motorcycle painter. Look at some of the paint jobs on new cars.....so much orange peel, there's no image reflection.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:24 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beyondthepaint
I would agree with death trap, try to find another set of tins to paint. Your bike would hold more value if you retain the stock sheet metal.
Agreed!
If your Anniversary set is clean, dont shootem! Save them or sell them, they have value, and as time goes by they will at some point be worth more... ("factory anniversary set")...

Old 07-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Govno
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all! I will look into getting another set or just keeping what I have. I don't plan on having this bike forever...

Old 07-29-2012, 01:09 PM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do custom bike painting, bikes only. If/when you decide let me know and maybe we can work something out. Cleveland isn't all that far from me.

Another idea would be to take your stock set and add something to it to make it unique. If your stock paint is in good condition it would make a good base for something custom and save you some cost.

Last edited by abi; 07-29-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Another idea...
Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 PM
952dave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn’t worry about saving your stock paint, the only time that it was worth more is when the dealer was selling it new. The cost of a paint job really depends on how elaborate you want it. A high quality single color will start in the $700 and up range.