Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

powder coat gun??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:20 PM
springer3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powder coat gun??

JRK i read so reviews on a little dumpy powder coat gun harbor frieght has, im just doing my outer primary and it wont be worth sending it and waiting you know anything about a good cheap gun??

2nd part to my question is i am being told that all the two tone powder coats arent really two tone there a powder coat 1st coat and a paint 2nd coat is this true?
Your work looks killer i wish i had sent my stuff to you rather then getting it done where i live all the powder coaters here do fence an signs and all kinds of **** other then scooter parts!!
Next project everything is coming to you!!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

not really sure i am much of a help on cheap gun... but we use 0 paint in the shop it is all powder!
hell these wheels have 4 coats of powder on them to achieve the look we wanted

Old 04-23-2012, 07:35 PM
springer3
Tourer

that looks bada$$!!Is that all powder?
Thats what i was saying all the coaters here say you cant do two tone!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

hahaha well we do well over 2 tone... that wheel actaully has silver, orange, white, and clear on it... all powder...
look though our website man... custom coating is what we do... we ahve some wicked wheels in the wheels gallery
www.thepowderpro.com

Old 04-24-2012, 03:54 PM
colonelangus1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont use a cheap gun from HF you wont be happy.the best gun for the money imo is from columbia coatings its cheap enough and works great..HF is a tools company not a powder coating company thats the first clue you should go elsewhere ..columbia coatings is just that a coating specialty shop

Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
springer3
Tourer

Thanks for the info!! ill look into the gun your talking about!!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:46 AM
andrrewdamien
Intermediate

Originally Posted by colonelangus1
dont use a cheap gun from HF you wont be happy.the best gun for the money imo is from columbia coatings its cheap enough and works great..HF is a tools company not a powder coating company thats the first clue you should go elsewhere ..columbia coatings is just that a coating specialty shop
Most peoples starting powdered ingredient's layer are puzzled by plenty of techniques and structure of device that is necessary. The key to this is the dried ingredient's layer gun. Losing this product, you have no way to conform to the dried ingredients cover at all.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 PM
laffin gas
Tourer

hey JRK....i have a 200 rear sporty wheel and a skinny front both spoke wheels....just curious if i took the tires off and shipped you the wheels....how much to coat all the spokes yellow and maybe a clear over it so its easy to clean and re-spoke the wheels? just curious because that would be very difficult to do around here....the powder is the easy part....and what is the time frame from when you receive the wheels to shipiing them back out?

i checked your site out and you do some fantastic work....have you ever clear coated over hydrographics? just did my friends sportbike wheels and i think the powder clear would look better but im not sure....thanks in advance

Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 PM
dasr12006
Novice

Originally Posted by springer3
JRK i read so reviews on a little dumpy powder coat gun harbor frieght has, im just doing my outer primary and it wont be worth sending it and waiting you know anything about a good cheap gun??

2nd part to my question is i am being told that all the two tone powder coats arent really two tone there a powder coat 1st coat and a paint 2nd coat is this true?
Your work looks killer i wish i had sent my stuff to you rather then getting it done where i live all the powder coaters here do fence an signs and all kinds of **** other then scooter parts!!
Next project everything is coming to you!!
The Harbor Freight gun is garbage and for what it would cost you to setup to do a couple of your own parts with zero experience, you are better off sending it to a professional.

Here is a decent site to find coaters in your area. http://www.powdercoatingboard.com/coaters.

When choosing a coater, find one that does aluminum oxide sandblasting and uses some sort of powder coating approved chemical to treat the metal prior to coating. Acetone is not an approved chemical. Beware of the amateur coaters. If the price is cheap, so is the work.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 PM
okidiver2001
Novice

Do NOT purchase that powder coating fun from Harbor Freight.... it is junk to say the least. and as far as what you would pay someone to do your inner primary it would not even be worth buying the equipment to do it your self. if you want a good quote on a great job contact Ultimate Powder Coating. www.powdercoat.it

as far as powder fosters using paint as a second, third, or even fourth coat.... they aren't powder coaters. Any respectable coater will have a gun that will lay that many coats of powder or even more