Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

question to the painters!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM
springer3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what pressure should i have my gun set at im running it on 32 right now and it doesnt seem to push the paint threw very well but that could be the gun im using is shity!!!
As soo as i can figure out how to put pitures in my treads ill put some up of my first paint job!! its only vivde black but its smooth no orange peel and no fish eyes and i can read the letters in my tattoos perfect!!!! It was alot of work,,man have new found respect for you painters....

Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 AM
kps_Shovel
Cruiser

if fish eyes did appear, there is an old trick, & this worked with suction feed guns, crank up air pressure, 80 to 90psi at gun estimated, then spray light dust coat, or a "fog coat" & let "flash" & you can get paint to stick without having to add any additives like "fish eye eliminator" then you clear over like normal.

I used guns like Binks number 7, Sharpe, Develbiss, & had 1 with an agitator cup for larger flakes, for primer I had Japan copies of the Binks 7.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:25 PM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KPS - you're showing some age there..lol...bad part..I remember all of those guns and sprayed with quite a few of them myself. To bad the stuff we got away with then you don't dare do now. Once in awhile you can bury a fisheye but more often times then not you'll just create more work for yourself.
Best bet, take your time make sure you've got a clean surface and good clean air...

Old 03-30-2012, 03:08 PM
kps_Shovel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jharanin
KPS - you're showing some age there..lol...bad part..I remember all of those guns and sprayed with quite a few of them myself. To bad the stuff we got away with then you don't dare do now. Once in awhile you can bury a fisheye but more often times then not you'll just create more work for yourself.
Best bet, take your time make sure you've got a clean surface and good clean air...
has painting changed that much? I have sprayed some things in last 3 years, but dont find myself doing much, except stuff for myself as needed. I can still buy same paints at least as of 3 years ago, & I stop in a paint store for odds & ends all the time, as they are only 4 miles from my house. they havent mentioned alot new, except a medium now to hold the metalics in suspension, so you dont have to buy as much clear, as well as the new fangled water based primers.

my project I am planning to shoot myself, & planning to use my old guns. one of these days I may step up & buy a new fangled gravity fed gun, I have sprayed maybe 10 cars using other peoples gravity fed guns. the only thing I have left is my primer gun, & a Snap-on Sharp model suction gun, & a suction gravity detail gun.

I was heavy into painting in the late 80's through mid to late 90's, & loved the 70's styles. I still do..... planning a heavy metal flake with pearl in a cool shade of orange, & cant decide what kind of graphics.

Later,
Randy

Old 03-30-2012, 11:27 PM
springer3
Tourer

cool good info,, i am pulling motor out of my other bike now and am going to paint it since my first job came out as well as it did!!!!Im getting ready to try an put the picture of my dresser i painted up an let yall tell me what yall think...

Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 PM
springer3
Tourer

one last thing any tricks on how to remove pin stripes off fairing? On the first one i just used a razer an took my time but f##ck that it took to long and left glue!!!!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 PM
springer3
Tourer

You can see on my springer i never have believed in paint i have always let my choppers rust out i like the look and will keep running it on my choppers but to paint my bagger an it look good was pretty rewarding!!!!

Old 03-31-2012, 12:42 AM
kps_Shovel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by springer3
one last thing any tricks on how to remove pin stripes off fairing? On the first one i just used a razer an took my time but f##ck that it took to long and left glue!!!!

if they are not painted on, several companies make "erasers" specifically for decals. they can be run with a drill & 1 looks like a old gum style eraser, the other is white, & always worked better for me.

for the glue, there is always lighter fluid, & goo gone, or for professional stuff look for a wax & grease remover, something like PPG 330 but test a small area first, they have 1 a little stronger & a weaker one, plus always other chemicals that can be used, but have a strong potential to remove paint. like lacquer thinner, & acetone.

after you remove stripes, since they been on a while, you may have a "GHOST" stripe, in the right light conditions, even through they may not be there, the paint was shielded from UV rays & such & will show a trace difference & will probably be able to tell where they were.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:50 PM
springer3
Tourer

thanks for info ill look into the removers!!!!

Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 PM
springer3
Tourer

ok went ad got the two part clear coat for 18.96 a can it did two fenders tour pack one saddle bag and a side panel it put two coats on one fender tour pack and saddle bagg not enough to do other fender or side panel but have second can..
Now the point is the best money i have spent on the paint yet well worth it and great info thanks guys!!! It is rock hard will never use any thing else again unless its threw my gun and after useing the two part can with its tip theres not need to use good got a top coat as good as ive seen or as good as i could have done with the gun!!lol