Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Powdercoating Engine Covers and Other Parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Powdercoating Engine Covers and Other Parts

Quick question for those who have done this before. If I were to take off my primary cover, upper and lower rocker boxes and timing cover and sent them to get powdercoated, what should I do about the engine? I am hearing it could take 2 weeks plus to get them coated, so will that hurt the motor if it sits that long? I am guessing I could cover the openings in plastic and tape them off to keep out debris.

Anything I should watch out for when taking off these parts?

Also, does 2 weeks plus seem like a reasonable time for a powdercoater? I'm going to have the engine covers done in wrinkle black and then get my risers, console, sissy bar, lower forks and sliders done in gloss black.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:04 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine done, but I bought a set form a guy on here REAL cheap so the bike wasn't down at all. Talk to you PC guy. When I told a local guy to me I wanted wrinkle black, he asked if I wanted wrinkle or texture black. He said texture black is the actual match for the motor. He was right, its a perfect match.....

Old 12-06-2011, 03:05 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Can't help ya with the PC question but would say you should cover any exposed internal parts.

Again not familiar with PC but when I was wrenchin on bikes way back when....If we sent anything out to chromed we always made sure when we got the parts back to remove the chrome from any matting surfaces. That will help to insure that you don't have any oil leaks. Again I don't know if that would be an issue with PC'ing or not but thought I'd throw it out there as just another thing to check.

OH....and make sure to post pics when you get it back together.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:17 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

I'm deployed right now, so I won't be back to get to this until April. I'm just asking so that I will know exactly what to do when the time comes.

But when I do get back, this will give me something to do while on my 2 weeks of R&R. I'll definitely put up a thread in case someone else decides to do the same or something similar.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:19 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by brettnbama
I got mine done, but I bought a set form a guy on here REAL cheap so the bike wasn't down at all. Talk to you PC guy. When I told a local guy to me I wanted wrinkle black, he asked if I wanted wrinkle or texture black. He said texture black is the actual match for the motor. He was right, its a perfect match.....
There is a guy on eBay that sells the pieces already done for a pretty good price, but I am not sure if I could sell the brushed chrome parts for anything though. The guy said he would buy the take off parts from me, but wasn't offering much though.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:12 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ones I bought were actually off of a Lo. I got the primary cover, cam cover and trans cover for $100. Where are you deployed to? I am overseas as well. On a Kosovo rotation. Not real pleased.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by brettnbama
the ones I bought were actually off of a Lo. I got the primary cover, cam cover and trans cover for $100. Where are you deployed to? I am overseas as well. On a Kosovo rotation. Not real pleased.
Kosovo doesn't sound too bad, but then again I haven't been out there so I don't really know.

I'm not real pleased either. I am up in NE Afghanistan. Not much to do, but the FOB I am at is at least pretty safe for the most part; I can't say that about some of the ones I visit though.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:02 AM
caaraa
Banned

this is really cool, I like here!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:54 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ya it is fine i would warp the parts that are exposed in celophane, i do it all the time just to keep crap out.. works and simple. 2 weeks this time of the year is just where we are as far as time comes in for powder work... just make sure your coater knows what to and NOT to mask... other than that your golden... did all my cases when i built my motor
here are some pics of mine, all my cases are coated... hell everything is coated!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JRK5892
ya it is fine i would warp the parts that are exposed in celophane, i do it all the time just to keep crap out.. works and simple. 2 weeks this time of the year is just where we are as far as time comes in for powder work... just make sure your coater knows what to and NOT to mask... other than that your golden... did all my cases when i built my motor
here are some pics of mine, all my cases are coated... hell everything is coated!

Nice *** bike man! So the tank and fenders are powdered too, huh? Looks bad ***.

I won't be sending the items for powder until April (deployed right now). But either way he said it would be at least 2-4 weeks. I do a lot of research before I actually commit to something, and I have plenty of time to do research over here

If you don't mind, how much would you charge to do the parts I am wanting done? Console, lower fork legs, sliders (cow bells), risers (short) & sissy bar (one piece) in Gloss Black (Vivid Black match) as well as the primary cover, trans cover, upper & lower rocker boxes and timing cover in wrinkle black (or textured black, whatever matches the black engine). I am trying to figure out if the guy is giving me a good deal or not. If you don't want to post that on here, it would be great if you could PM me. By April, if he still says it will take a long time to get these done, I may be interested in shipping them out to you; I have heard good things about your work and I can definitely see it on your bike. And obviously you already know what to mask off.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating Engine Covers and Other Parts