Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Factory paint for 03' RG

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011 | 06:12 PM
urleycay
|
Advanced
Angry Factory paint for 03' RG

I cannot for the life of me understand how Harley can refuse to sell me a quart of paint or a gallon for that matter if I want to touch up the road nicks on my own bike. I have a Silver / Black 03' road glide w. 49000 and nose is getting nicked up and i would like to paint match inner fairing. My local harley dealer in Springfield, Mo tells me Harley will not sell you paint and they WILL NOT accept plastic parts back for repaint nor will they repaint them. they will only accept steel parts. Man they brag about there paint capabilities yet will not let me paint my own bike that i bought new from them. I understand they had problems with silver in beginning but they didn,t have a problem when I ordered a $800 tour pack and the screaming eagle third lights. This really bugs me especially when i have been painting cars and bikes for over 30 years not as a job full time but a hobby. Currently i am doing a body off on an SS and i can buy paint from any other manufacturer but Harley. I mean really who do these people thing they are? they are just ruining customer relations by trying to force feed all harley parts only by authorized harley people. i would hate to have to ruin my bike by having to paint it another color some day. Anyone have any solutions?

Old 10-13-2011 | 06:30 PM
abi
Tourer

If you've been painting for 30 years I'm sure you know you can look up the codes and get paint mixed up at your local supplier. You wouldn't want to buy directly from HD even if you could, they'd probably charge 4 times anyone else. And you don't need a quart or a gallon. If you're just doing touch up and an inner fairing a pint will probably do.

Old 10-13-2011 | 06:38 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by abi
If you've been painting for 30 years I'm sure you know you can look up the codes and get paint mixed up at your local supplier. You wouldn't want to buy directly from HD even if you could, they'd probably charge 4 times anyone else. And you don't need a quart or a gallon. If you're just doing touch up and an inner fairing a pint will probably do.
Exactly...Well said!

Old 10-14-2011 | 08:05 AM
urleycay
|
Advanced

problem is local paint supplier exculsive to ppg does not have codes and cannot get them, I have asked many times. there was a thread i found last night on this site where the person did have the codes and attached all the info from PPG on the silver color. so Now I can go back to local ppg supplier with some info or go to someone else but i can get it and have all procedures for appying over ViVid Black

Old 10-14-2011 | 08:11 AM
abi
Tourer

Originally Posted by urleycay
problem is local paint supplier exculsive to ppg does not have codes and cannot get them, I have asked many times. there was a thread i found last night on this site where the person did have the codes and attached all the info from PPG on the silver color. so Now I can go back to local ppg supplier with some info or go to someone else but i can get it and have all procedures for appying over ViVid Black
my local supplier can't/won't look up the HD codes either. But if I find them online and take them in then they will mix up the paint.

Old 10-14-2011 | 11:09 AM
66impala
Tourer

Sounds like your having issues with the counter people at your local ppg shop. The guys where Im at are great, the seem to have all the codes for all the HD parts ive done, Pearl white, blue sunglow, black cherry. They all were a match. See if you can find the codes on line.

Old 10-14-2011 | 06:36 PM
urleycay
|
Advanced

These are the #'s i got, S28642, S28643, S28643A, W443392 - PPG # 902650. I am gonna check with them monday and see if they will do it.

Old 11-02-2011 | 04:54 PM
urleycay
|
Advanced

just found out from local PPG dealer and there sales rep that the only way to buy sterling silver for the 03' annivesary bike is to buy it in water base/ they will not allow mix of standard DBC basecoat for propieteray reasons or agreement w/ harley. You can buy liquid metal in DBC and try color matching that which I will be doing. The numbers I have are correct but i am not going to go out and buy a gun and blowers and all the specialty mixes just to fix some nicks and paint inner fairing. I have a good mind to just paint it my way. they ain't **** in resale since markets dropped even annivesary bikes.

Old 11-15-2011 | 02:53 PM
mbierbac
Advanced

Even if you were able to get the paint,unless it was black or white you would not be able to match the bike perfectly anyways as there are soo many factors that determine the color, temperature sprayed at, distance from panel, how heavy it was applied not to mention how many variances as to the color code of your bike. You do not have to go with PPG You can go with Sikkens, Glasuruit, RM. A good painter at a body shop can match your color close enough, but you would have to blend or paint the entire component no question. I don't know if enviromental regulation where you live are as stringent as where I do, but unless you are a bodyshop with a license or a dealer, any paint supplier can be fined if paint is sold to anyone without a license to spray it.

Old 11-19-2011 | 05:46 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Try this site.. can buy 2oz all the way up to complete bike
http://www.cyclecolor.com/

more specific :http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-us/sho...75=on&15076=on

Quick Reply: Factory paint for 03' RG