Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

I will be rattle can painting with HDs Black Denim

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:06 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I will be rattle can painting with HDs Black Denim

Hey everyone. I plan on re painting my tins on my 95 FXDWG next weekend using moco rattle can denim black. I decided to do this for a few reasons. The black paint on my bike now is not perfect anyway and I love the denim look. So I will strip off the old paint use some filler primer then hit it with the denim. Is it really that simple? I can have a under $50 paint job that can look really nice? My buddy told me to take it to a paint shop and have them paint it. Ah no! I know you guys will say hit it with some krylon or other cheaper paint but I think $50 to have a true black denim paint on my Harley is nothing. I will get before and after pics up too but wanted to see if I'm missing something here. I know there are bikes out there with $10 paint jobs that look like they came from the factory too. Also I know Harley has a rattle can flat clear. I was told they don't use a clear on their black denim by both my dealer and you guy but will it hurt anything. I think it would protect it even more.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 AM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spray lots of light coats rattle cans have a tendancy to run.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:00 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of folks have had pretty good results with putting the HD black wrinkle on their engines.

As far as putting any rattle can on all your tins.......well yea it can look good at least for awhile. In fact I would guess the texture of the Denim would hold up better than a gloss if you pig spit it often and it's not left in the sun everyday.

The biggest problem with rattle can paint is that it is a one part solution. They can't add a hardener to it so by design it will not be as durable as a two part mix that a pro shop would put on your tins. Of course if you want to spend more money you can buy the 2 part mix yourself at any car body suppy house. You will need a decent spray gun setup.

But again I would guess the denim is the best choice for a rattle can application. But the best primer you can find would help. I have rattle canned areas on my old truck many times. But they only last a year or so before they start to fade badly and latter chaulk off.

Good luck with it though and post some pics when you're done.

(oh and definitely DON'T use clear coat unless you can apply it in a climate controlled setting or it will spider as it ages.)

Old 05-30-2011, 10:09 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Light coats indeed. RWB thanks for the great tips!. What is pig spit? Sorry never heard of that! It will be in my garage if not outside at work so that should be ok for the paint. My dad does have a few paint guns for his compresser but I don't really know how to mix paint and hardner and figured heck it's a lot cheaper to get the official denim black from Harley it will be good enough but now you got me thinking otherwise. It will be painted in a clean warm work shop too. Pics will def be going up for this project.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
.. .. . .. .. . What is pig spit? Sorry never heard of that! ... . .. . .. .. .. . .. .
Pig Spit is silicone based engine brightner, is of similiar makeup to S100 Engine Brightner which used to be sold at my HD dealer but lately it disappeared and now has a new name called HD Engine Brightner. I suspect it's the same stuff, new name. Works fantastic on blacked out engines and denim tank bibs.

It's up to you but if it where me I would not put clear coat on it. You really don't need it. Just paint it denim and let it cure at least 30 days. Then treat it with any of the above products once a month and it will look great. It's just too risky with clear coat, the humidity, temp etc all have to be right for it to work.

I had some pretty nasty looking water spots on my Bob's blacked wrinkle paint when I bought it used. But I put the HD Engine brightner on it and brushed it around good with a clean toothbrush to loosen up the deposits. Then wiped the engine down good before it dried with a cotton rag. My engine's blacked coating looks new now. It's amazing what this stuff will do to remove deposts of splatter chrome polish etc and then it conditions the paint. Try it sometime.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:54 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Got it thanks! That sounds like some good stuff! I hear windex is also good to use. So how many days do you think I can put the bike back together and ride again not 30 days right? . And I will pass on the flat clear then. Funny they did not use it from the factory though. What about gas spills?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:32 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
Got it thanks! That sounds like some good stuff! I hear windex is also good to use. So how many days do you think I can put the bike back together and ride again not 30 days right? . And I will pass on the flat clear then. Funny they did not use it from the factory though. What about gas spills?
You can put the bike back together and ride as soon as the paint if fully dry. What I meant was don't polish or wax or pig spit or anything (except a wash with any good car wash soap), for 30 days while the paint does it's initial cure. It needs to breath that long while the paint volitiles evaporate out. You can verify this process with any good body shop.

I've never spilt any gas on my blacked parts so don't really know but it should hold up as well as any paint. Just try not leave gas on it very long.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Sounds great! Thanks for the tips and info! I plan on doing this next weekend if all goes right.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do use a clear coat on the denim, its a matte clear, need proof? Look at a 08-10 crossbones, the "pinstripes"are vinyl under the clear coat

Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

No kidding? Huh...I think it is a nice idea for the tank for those gas spills but it seems the clear can be a pain to paint.

Quick Reply: I will be rattle can painting with HDs Black Denim