Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

I will be rattle can painting with HDs Black Denim

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:13 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Norcal your bike looks sweet! Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Rolling Thunder Speed
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Paint

Hey i don't know if you have already painted your bike yet?, but if you havn't check this!

Make sure you seal after your body work and filler is done. If you don't chances are your paintjob will look like a fat ladies ***! Sealer is the most important part of the paint prep. It gives the paint a smooth un-sanded surface to lay on giving you a more uniform finish and it seperates your new paint job from the old, covers your filler and scratches. Other wise the chemicals in the new paint process may not be compatible with the old and it will blow up! (Painters Terminology) Turn out like ****!

Don't wait to long between steps! Chances are you will only have 24 hours before the sealer closes and you will have to sand it and start over with the sealer. Since you are using rattle can clear then i would highly recomend getting a good urethane or paint compatible sealer for the products you already bought. Happy Painting!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:29 PM
dirty 3rdy
Advanced
Default what about lowers?

so, has anybody rattle canned fork lowers? just curious..im not diggin' the HD glossyblack sliders on my train? do you have to sand the sliders..sounds like a dum question but Valspar has primerless paint..who knows whats out there????i want to paint it flat black...home depot has this high temp paint for BBQ grills and i heard from the sales rep that its preety tough paint....i think krylon makes it ....back in the day VHT was the rattle can in everybodys' garage...iwant to do this this summer....17 days straight over 100 deg, here in DALLAS

Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rolling thunder
No i have not painted yet. Still no time to get it done. Busy buying a new house. Thanks for the great tips!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Rolling Thunder Speed
4th Gear
Default Dirty 3rdy

Scotchbright works awesome for scuffing without scratching! It will give you a good sub-straight to paint right over without having to do allot of prep. Just remeber wax and grease remover is your friend on those lower sliders! Go to Kustomshop.com they have a really good product called Hot-Rod Flatz that i have used on old school custom cars! They have lots of colors to choose from!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:53 PM
PSI_2_HIGH
2nd Gear

good luck get some pics up soon

Old 07-20-2011, 05:32 PM
dirty 3rdy
Advanced

Rolling thunder,
thanx for the info...i really could use it...i've been at a loss since VHT disapeared they came back but not the same...i'll post pics as soon as im done