Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

I will be rattle can painting with HDs Black Denim

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Indeed prep work sucks but it's worth it! I plan on usig aircraft stripper then sanding the rest off to the metal. Then a filler primer. Then bit it with the denim. They are 12 oz cans got 2. That should be enough for the fenders and tank right? How many coats? I know hd sells the flat clear in the rattle can too. If I use that do I wet sand before the clear? I just want to protect it the best and also against gas spills.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:45 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
Indeed prep work sucks but it's worth it! I plan on usig aircraft stripper then sanding the rest off to the metal. Then a filler primer. Then bit it with the denim. They are 12 oz cans got 2. That should be enough for the fenders and tank right? How many coats? I know hd sells the flat clear in the rattle can too. If I use that do I wet sand before the clear? I just want to protect it the best and also against gas spills.
That should be enough. I think I read something about not wet sanding with the denim before the clear. it's a different process then regular paint. With the harley paint it's the clear coat that gives it the satin finish. One reason I used colorrite.com paint. I would at least try and get two coats on it.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:54 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

I spent three days painting mine. A lot of it was taking the parts off and on. All the people that see my bike think it's a factory paint job.

Attached Thumbnails I will be rattle can painting with HDs Black Denim-new-2.jpg   I will be rattle can painting with HDs Black Denim-new-4.jpg  
Old 06-04-2011, 12:28 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Bagger, your bike is gourges! That turned out really nice! Ok I see what you mean about no need for clear over my rattle can denim sense the factory does a clear over normal to get the look. I looked on that site. They want $38 a can and Harley wants $20 so that's why I got the Harley stuff. I read Harley's spray cans cover nice. We will see!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 PM
joesnextoy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CSS looking forward to seein the finished project

Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joesnextoy
CSS looking forward to seein the finished project
Yeah, let's see some finished pics!

BLKBAGGER, great job on your paint.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the rattle can paint isnt the same paint that comes obn production bikes..the official paint is two part with a flat clear coat to protect it..the rattle can paint is just for touch up..if you already have access to a spray gun and compressor,two part paint isnt that much more expensive..it is a lot better lasting and sprays a lot easier/smoother..mixing it is nothing,you get a clear mixing cup and they will tell you how much of each to put in the cup,then stir pour in the cup and spray..go to any auto paint supply.a lot of napa auto parts carry paint..good luck with your project

Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 PM
sfetty
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After my wifes drop, I painted her tank with the HD rattle can denim black and 2 years later it still looks like new! I think you will be fine as long as you do your prep work.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Thanks guys for the tips. I still have to paint it. I have the paint just no time now. My wife and I are inthe middle of buying a house in a new city and life is crazy now. I promise I will have pics up once it is done just not sure now when I can get to it.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 PM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rattlecan'd mine close to two years ago, still looks great

i didn't clear mine, cause i'm hard on paint & have touched up scratches numerous times quickly ( you're fuked if ya lay clear on top, how ya gonna touch that up,,, easily & quickly ? )

gas don't touch this stuff, have made a few minor spills while fueling, it's a non issue as it's an enamel

Last edited by NorCal Dog; 07-13-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: I will be rattle can painting with HDs Black Denim