Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

I will be rattle can painting with HDs Black Denim

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
They do use a clear coat on the denim, its a matte clear, need proof? Look at a 08-10 crossbones, the "pinstripes"are vinyl under the clear coat
Most all OEM stuff is clear coated (even the polished aluminum), but it has to be done in a controlled environment spray booth or the results are undetermined.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer said denim was not cleared. But who knows. I don't think I will clear it. Oh well looks like it won't happen this weekend now. Dealer is out of the paint and can't get any for 7 days. I wonder if my local John Deere dealer has any blitz black rattle can in stock. I hear it's a close match and tuff as nails. But then again if I'm doing it I want the real deal. Thanks all for the tips. I will keep this updated on an out come.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
My dealer said denim was not cleared. But who knows. I don't think I will clear it. Oh well looks like it won't happen this weekend now. Dealer is out of the paint and can't get any for 7 days. I wonder if my local John Deere dealer has any blitz black rattle can in stock. I hear it's a close match and tuff as nails. But then again if I'm doing it I want the real deal. Thanks all for the tips. I will keep this updated on an out come.
That was the only reason I said what I said. I know its hard to believe, but sometimes the dealers are wrong. I was only pointing that out to you, because of the advice others gave you to clear coat the paint job. Advice which I feel is pretty sound. I promise you it is clear coated from the factory.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Sounds good Brett thanks for the info. I hope I can paint it up soon and get the results on here. Killer x bones you have. Those bikes look so bad ***!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks man, I found out in a bad way about the clear...lol, I had to get a new tank because the vinyl stripes were actually pusing the clear away from the tank. In one spot you could actually see the vinyl bare. It was as glossy as it gets. Apparently it is the clear coat that gives the denim look. Luckily, at the last minute, they decided to warranty it. Good luck with that paint, let us know how it goes.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Animal_
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
That was the only reason I said what I said. I know its hard to believe, but sometimes the dealers are wrong. I was only pointing that out to you, because of the advice others gave you to clear coat the paint job. Advice which I feel is pretty sound. I promise you it is clear coated from the factory.
+1. The moco clear touchup for it is even labeled 'denim'. Speaking from experience.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

The stock denim paint does have a clear coat. Though it is special clear coat for the denim paint. You can also get the paint here: http://www.colorrite.com/ i used paint from here but bought the pints and used a gun. I didn't use any clear and the paint held up real well.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

One other thing. use at least 600 grit paper for sanding, And yes you need to sand it all down real well. use some degreaser and tac cloth before final paint.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:20 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

the bike in your sig you painted yourself? That looks really nice!!! thanks for the tips! i ordered up a few rattle cans the other day of the black denim should be here soon.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:21 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
the bike in your sig you painted yourself? That looks really nice!!! thanks for the tips! i ordered up a few rattle cans the other day of the black denim should be here soon.
Yep, Good luck and take your time. It's all in the prep work.

Quick Reply: I will be rattle can painting with HDs Black Denim