Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

spot putty filler for my bags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 PM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spot putty filler for my bags?

Hello, working on some extended bags that are made of fiberglass. What type of spot glazing putty would be best on these? Im getting ready for painting them in a couple of months but want them arrow staight.
How about a good quality spray rattle can sandable primer too?

Thanks! Drew C.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 AM
joechief
Cruiser

Have you already bonded the extentions onto your bags? you mentioned that the extentions are fiberglass, are your original bags fiberglass as well?

Joechief

Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 AM
badco_67
Intermediate

Rage Gold don't use Bondo brand or other similar cheap types...

Old 05-11-2011, 10:17 AM
badco_67
Intermediate

wouldn't use rattle can sandable primer either, it will be lacquer based and you might have compatibility issues with the good urethane two part (base + clear) paint you put over it...

Old 05-11-2011, 05:19 PM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer

[quote=joechief;8304808]Have you already bonded the extentions onto your bags? Bought a set of extended bags, lids and fender at a steal from ebay a while ago. you mentioned that the extentions are fiberglass, are your original bags fiberglass as well? Yes but keeping them stock to switch around styles.
thanks! Drew

Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 PM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer

Originally Posted by badco_67
Rage Gold don't use Bondo brand or other similar cheap types...
will check it out! Thanks.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 PM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer

Originally Posted by badco_67
wouldn't use rattle can sandable primer either, it will be lacquer based and you might have compatibility issues with the good urethane two part (base + clear) paint you put over it...
good point well taken. Going to the paint store saturday for some input.
Thanks Drew

Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned spot glazing putty. Are you simply filling small pin holes and mold imperfections?
I used Nitro-Stan for years on model airplanes:
http://www.azautobodysupply.com/nistspandglp.html
Dries quickly and wet sands very well though it does shrink, so a second application may be necessary.
Any large depressions or otherwise will require a filler product, like Rage Gold as suggested.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 AM
joechief
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nickrc3
You mentioned spot glazing putty. Are you simply filling small pin holes and mold imperfections?
Dries quickly and wet sands very well though it does shrink, so a second application may be necessary.
Any large depressions or otherwise will require a filler product, like Rage Gold as suggested.
Guys, I work for an auto body supply company, (not saying I know everything), but Rage Gold is a body filler not a glaze. Rage Gold is great for dent filling, but if all you need is filling of light scratches or pits, I would use Fiberglass Evercoat's #416 Metal Glaze or #421 Easy Sand. These glazes are ground finer that a body filler for smoother application, but don't have the density of Rage Gold, which would be for thicker filling of a dent. Don't be alarmed with the name Metal Glaze, it works great on fiberglass, it is called Metal Glaze because it will stick directly to bare metal and galvanized metal.

And I agree, I would not use bomb can, lacuer based primer. They shrink and "map", especially on fiberglass. Use a 2K primer surfacer. If you do not have a spray gun, USC does make a 2K aerosol primer surfacer in a bomb can. The catalyst and primer are separated in the can until you hit a red button on the bottom of the can which introduces the two together. Just shake and spray. Great filling, easy sanding and durable. Keep in mind that once the two components are mixed together, you have to start spraying before the product begins to set up in the can. I believe you have more than an hour. USC part #3680031. Good Luck.

Joechief

Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 AM
joechief
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nickrc3
Guys, I work for an auto body supply company, (not saying I know everything), but Rage Gold is a body filler not a glaze. Rage Gold is great for dent filling, but if all you need is filling of light scratches or pits, I would use Fiberglass Evercoat's #416 Metal Glaze or #421 Easy Sand. These glazes are ground finer that a body filler for smoother application, but don't have the density of Rage Gold, which would be for thicker filling of a dent. Don't be alarmed with the name Metal Glaze, it works great on fiberglass, it is called Metal Glaze because it will stick directly to bare metal and galvanized metal.

And I agree, I would not use bomb can, lacuer based primer. They shrink and "map", especially on fiberglass. Use a 2K primer surfacer. If you do not have a spray gun, USC does make a 2K aerosol primer surfacer in a bomb can. The catalyst and primer are separated in the can until you hit a red button on the bottom of the can which introduces the two together. Just shake and spray. Great filling, easy sanding and durable. Keep in mind that once the two components are mixed together, you have to start spraying before the product begins to set up in the can. I believe you have more than an hour. USC part #3680031. Good Luck.

Joechief

Last edited by joechief; 05-12-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: POSTED TWICE FOR SOME REASON

Quick Reply: spot putty filler for my bags?