Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Gold leafing my decals

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:31 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Great work. Your pictures were super helpful to us lesser skilled painters. This may be something I attempt over the winter now that I've seen how great it can look.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Rebsix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to dig up my own old thread but I thought I'd show what a pickup doing 40 can do to gold leaf:

I was sitting at a red light and he came from my left about 60 and didn't make the turn. nailed me in the primary, horn front jug area and slammed the bike on it's right side. It didn't do me too much good either. Fortunately no broken bones (don't ask me how but I'm not gonna waste money on a lotto ticket this week).

Anyway, I thought I'd share this with ya's

Jeff

EDIT: BTW it was a hit and run and they still haven't caught the guy

Last edited by Rebsix; 06-28-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:11 AM
dfndr
Road Master

Oh crap. So sorry to see that. But, think how great it will look when you do it again, what with the experience and all. Maybe it can't possibly look any better, but hopefully it will be a little faster and easier. Damn, I'm just trying to cheer you up a bit but don' think I'm doing too well. Hang in there.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:24 AM
bcrdb
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rebsix
Not to dig up my own old thread but I thought I'd show what a pickup doing 40 can do to gold leaf:

I was sitting at a red light and he came from my left about 60 and didn't make the turn. nailed me in the primary, horn front jug area and slammed the bike on it's right side. It didn't do me too much good either. Fortunately no broken bones (don't ask me how but I'm not gonna waste money on a lotto ticket this week).

Anyway, I thought I'd share this with ya's

Jeff

EDIT: BTW it was a hit and run and they still haven't caught the guy

That's tragic. I'm sure glad you are breathing, walking, and thinking.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,
WOW!!!! So sorry for this misfortune, however, glad you were not seriously injured. How did you ever escape being crushed? The motorist simply took off? Anyone get the plate # or provide an I.D. to the Police?

You've got insurance, right? They should recognize the custom paint and compensate accordingly (along with the other damages). Then, I'm sure, some other 'leaf' paint scheme will be in order.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Rebsix
Cruiser

Thanks for trying to cheer me up dfndr, but I was already thinking about that when I was lying there looking at it while waiting for the ambulance LOL.

It's a strange thing how I wasn't hurt more seriously than I am. I did actually get my left leg up on the seat just before he made contact, which for sure saved my leg and maybe my life. With my hands still on the bars they pushed almost straight forward smashing my forehead on the triple tree, then I went flying feet first down the pavement.

My helmet saved my forehead but not my mouth when it hit the pavement so the inside of my lip looks like hamburger and the outside like the toppings and the bun. Both thighs are severely bruised and my right shoulder and arm are just short of worthless for now, and a bit of road rash but that's pretty much it. My guardian angel was looking out for me but I wish he had woke up 30 seconds earlier LOL.

They totaled my bike and paid me off and I bought it back so now I have 5K to see if I can get it going again.

Here's a couple more pics:

Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 AM
oldskool67*
Novice

Great job bro, looks awesome. I love Goldleaf design. Been trying to come up with something for my crossbones. Great work.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 AM
oldskool67*
Novice

Originally Posted by oldskool67*
Great job bro, looks awesome. I love Goldleaf design. Been trying to come up with something for my crossbones. Great work.
Guess I should have finished reading the thread. Sorry to see that bud. Thank God your alright. It's amazing to me how many people treat us bikers like we don't belong on the road. My best friend spent a year in the hospital in traction because someone ran a red light and hit him. Thankfully he is still with us. God bless you bro

Old 07-19-2011, 04:56 PM
PSI_2_HIGH
2nd Gear

wish i had those skills !!! awsome look