Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Removing Tank Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011 | 08:15 PM
Uncle Larry
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default Removing Tank Emblems

I've got an 09 FLHTCU ( Black with Silver Pin Striping ) that I am considering removing the gas tank emblems ( badges ) and would like to know if any of you have done this. I think that they are gaudy and the MOCO should be paying me for their advertising! I understand how to remove the emblems. What I would like is to get some pictures of the tank after the emblems have been removed. I am curious as to what the pin striping looks like under the emblem and how the stripes have been "ended". Thanks in advance!

I do understand that the stripping is under the clear. I'm trying to find out how the stripes are ended .... blunt ends ... tapered ends ... pointed ends .. etc. I hoping that someone has done this and can send pictures of the outcome. I'm trying to keep from being disappointed once I decide to do this and find out that they look like crap underneath the Behemoth Chrome LOGO. I appreciate your input.

Old 01-21-2011 | 06:49 AM
11bDad
Road Captain

Can't tell you what you'll find under the badges, but I would venture to say it probably won't be anything you would want to leave uncovered. Probably should find some badges you think would look good just in case. I doubt the MOCO cared about how the end of the striping looked if it was just going to be covered by a badge. Maybe I'm wrong and they finished the stripes tastefully and they won't look like unfinished work ending in the middle of your tank. Let us know what you find.

Old 01-21-2011 | 07:05 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior

I took the badges off my 2010 Limited, I thought they looked really cheap, almost plastic like. Used fishing line, and just pulled from the front edge. The paint was fine underneath, they pealed right off. I silicon glued on used "99-2007 Roadking Classic emblems that are black and chrome with a big Vee that I bought here from a fellow member. Also changed out the lower front fender trim piece and the leather saddlebag crashbar bags with the same Roadking Classic emblems.

Old 01-21-2011 | 09:23 AM
Uncle Larry
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by 11bDad
Can't tell you what you'll find under the badges, but I would venture to say it probably won't be anything you would want to leave uncovered. Probably should find some badges you think would look good just in case. I doubt the MOCO cared about how the end of the striping looked if it was just going to be covered by a badge. Maybe I'm wrong and they finished the stripes tastefully and they won't look like unfinished work ending in the middle of your tank. Let us know what you find.
I'm thinking the same way that you are ... that it'll look bad. That's why I was hoping that someone else had already done it .. you know --- let someone else make the mistake and I/we may benefit from it. ( ain't that brothers are for ? ) I' going to look around for a more tasteful emblem before I decide to remove the original one and if I haven't heard from anyone maybe I'll get out the heat gun and go to town. Once I do I will post pictures. Thanks for the input!

Old 01-21-2011 | 11:49 AM
miami
Road Master

I used goop-off to soften the glue and then a spatula to work the underside.

Old 01-21-2011 | 01:35 PM
JRK5892
Banned

blow dryer will pull them off, your striping goes under the badges that is one of the last thing HD adds to the tank durring assembly