Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

I need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:55 PM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need your opinion

Removed the tank badges from my 2010 FXDC because I just didn't like the way they looked. Found a decal style I liked (2010 FXD) and thought looked really good with my Vivid Black bike. Called a local paint shop known for doing really good quality work (custom paint, fabrication, etc.) to get a quote for applying the decals and clear coating. Guy told me if I brought the tank to them it would cost $500 to prepare the surface, apply the decals, and clear coat. I wasn't expecting it to cost quite that much. Add $100 for the decals, and it ends up being a $600 project. If that's the case, I'll let it stay naked since it really looks pretty nice that way. What do you folks think?

Thanks

Old 01-20-2011, 03:05 AM
blackhog5150
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll quit my job and start painting bikes. I have painted many many cars and bikes over the years, painting is not rocket science. If you have any talent at all you can do this yourself. You can rent an air compressor if you don't have one, you can buy an HVLP spray gun at Harbor Freight that will do the job as well as any gun, because after the clear you're going to wet sand it with 1000 grit, and 1500 to get any orange peel or inperfections out and buff it. You are talking about maybe $200 total including buying the spray gun for $30.00 and renting or borowing a compressor. Do yourself a favor and be one of the guys that can say "I did it" not the guy that says I got it done at so and so. I have some very expensive spray guns, I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight to use as my primer and sealer gun, I expected it to be a piece of crap which it probably is but it sprays very nice, I have other painter friends who have discovered the same thing. I have never paid anyone to paint a car or motorcycle for me I have always done it myself. There is nothing like it I love painting. The main thing is the prep. Just be careful if you paint in your garage and have a waterheater in it turn it off and shut off the pilot light. The paint now days dries pretty fast so I have never even had any dirt issues. I paint in my garage with the door open and wet down the driveway to keep any dust down. Good luck I hope to read that you did it yourself.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:33 AM
952dave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhog5150
I think I'll quit my job and start painting bikes. I have painted many many cars and bikes over the years, painting is not rocket science. If you have any talent at all you can do this yourself. You can rent an air compressor if you don't have one, you can buy an HVLP spray gun at Harbor Freight that will do the job as well as any gun, because after the clear you're going to wet sand it with 1000 grit, and 1500 to get any orange peel or inperfections out and buff it. You are talking about maybe $200 total including buying the spray gun for $30.00 and renting or borowing a compressor. Do yourself a favor and be one of the guys that can say "I did it" not the guy that says I got it done at so and so. I have some very expensive spray guns, I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight to use as my primer and sealer gun, I expected it to be a piece of crap which it probably is but it sprays very nice, I have other painter friends who have discovered the same thing. I have never paid anyone to paint a car or motorcycle for me I have always done it myself. There is nothing like it I love painting. The main thing is the prep. Just be careful if you paint in your garage and have a waterheater in it turn it off and shut off the pilot light. The paint now days dries pretty fast so I have never even had any dirt issues. I paint in my garage with the door open and wet down the driveway to keep any dust down. Good luck I hope to read that you did it yourself.
I would like to see some of your work if its just that easy.

I think that $500 dollars does seem steep for just the tank. I assume that you prolly called the best local painter, so that will add to the price. Stop by a local body shop and I'm sure they wouldnt mind doing it, and I imagine they would do it cheaper.Keep in mind that even though they are just clearing the tank, it will require pretty much as much work as changing the color completely, just minus a little trigger time.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:06 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,815 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Sometimes a quote that high is just a way for him to say he's not interested...I wouldd think you could ride around a bit and get one or two more quotes!!