Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Vinyl wrap ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 09:33 PM
ARNAV
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vinyl wrap ?

Did anyone here try vinyl wrap to replace painting? It's done on cars so why not on bikes?... Any experience or photos?

Old 08-13-2020, 02:40 PM
Tomahawk309
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm in the middle of doing it on my dyna....what a huge pain in the ***. Its way harder than my truck was.
It looks decent. I've been working on it for a couple of weeks. I still have the rear fender to do. I also did the forks, signals fuel guage and gas cap.
The tank would be harder on a sporty to do in one piece. The dyna has the console so you can do it in two pieces which is way easier. I also two toned it which is four pieces.
It can be done but you better have lots of patience and buy extra for screw ups.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:54 PM
ARNAV
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, any pictures to show how it looks?...

Old 08-13-2020, 05:41 PM
Tomahawk309
Tourer
The following 2 users liked this post by Tomahawk309:
Chicago Ken (08-21-2020), Crotonrz (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:09 AM
Crotonrz
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Tomahawk, that looks really well done, excellent job.

For the OP, wrapping is perfect for bikes, but as Tomahawk described, they can be more difficult to apply than cars. Wrap can be removed if it gets beat up, and it gives you a reasonable way to change the look of your bike without committing to an expensive (and permanent) paint job. If you're doing it yourself, just make sure you get a professional grade of wrap material, (3M, Avery Dennison, that type of thing), if you're planning on having someone do it, just ask what products they use, look online for what colors that company offers, and come up with a coherent design they can follow. Also, while they look neat, textured finish vinyls (think carbon fiber) are more difficult to wrap in tight spaces, and more likely to peel in these areas than a solid color. Keep in mind, if you go two-tone, like Tomahawk has, you'll want to find a pinstripe tape to cover where they meet up, you can typically get the same color pinstripe tape as one of your vinyl colors if you don't want a pinstripe that stands out.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:28 AM
Tomahawk309
Tourer

Originally Posted by Crotonrz
Tomahawk, that looks really well done, excellent job.

For the OP, wrapping is perfect for bikes, but as Tomahawk described, they can be more difficult to apply than cars. Wrap can be removed if it gets beat up, and it gives you a reasonable way to change the look of your bike without committing to an expensive (and permanent) paint job. If you're doing it yourself, just make sure you get a professional grade of wrap material, (3M, Avery Dennison, that type of thing), if you're planning on having someone do it, just ask what products they use, look online for what colors that company offers, and come up with a coherent design they can follow. Also, while they look neat, textured finish vinyls (think carbon fiber) are more difficult to wrap in tight spaces, and more likely to peel in these areas than a solid color. Keep in mind, if you go two-tone, like Tomahawk has, you'll want to find a pinstripe tape to cover where they meet up, you can typically get the same color pinstripe tape as one of your vinyl colors if you don't want a pinstripe that stands out.
Hey thanks! I finished it up this weekend. I'm pretty happy with it. Its not perfect but but most wont notice that anyway.