Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Touch up paint on old decal spots?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:08 AM
WallyWhite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Touch up paint on old decal spots?

So I just picked up a retired police bike and have given it my first once over. The paint scheme on the bike has a couple little chips here and there but nothing that isn't easily touched up. My question pertains to a couple spots where the police department had their decals stuck on the front fender and sides of the tank. It almost looks like, to my very untrained eye, that it was under a layer of clear coat, but over the paint, and they somehow took it off without any major damage.

They carefully peeled them off so that the paint underneath wasn't scratched, but what it did leave is a ring around where the decal was. It's a minor enough that it doesn't really bother me, but I'd love to try to smooth it out so it's not as noticeable. I'm looking for any tips or advice from those that have removed old decals/lettering and gone to a regular paint finish.

I assume that 99% of folks just repaint the parts the decals came off of but I'm a short on funds until probably after this next summer, having just bought the bike. Want to try to get away with a minor fix for now until I can afford a full paint job. Anyone ever had this situation, and if so, any advice on how to touch up these spots?

I'll freely admit that this is my first HD and the first time I've ever dealt with painting a bike so any/all feedback is welcome.

Thank you.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:09 AM
WallyWhite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also if I'm using any terminology here that doesn't make sense let me know. I know it's hard to describe so I'll certainly clarify if I need to on any points.