Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

std panhead problem plz help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013 | 01:24 AM
Cory81
|
Cruiser
Default std panhead problem plz help

So I bought my softail chopper with a std panhead motor 6 gear trans. Ran good for a while other then it pukin oil out my crank case breather after ever ride. I was riding home and it sounded a little funny when I started it like it wasnt running on all cylinders. When you rev it up it kinda sputterds. I changed all 4 plugs they were super black I started it sounded perfect reved perfect. I go to ride it and it sputters again and acts like my gass is off. I got to down **** to keep up speed and if I give it full throttle it falls on its face and jerks back and forth like its outta gas. And it doesnt back crackle like normal. Anyone have any idea what it could be. I hope my description is helpful. I have an s&s super e carb. I don't know if its valves or accelerator pump maybe carb tuning ignition or what I'm cluess

Old 10-13-2013 | 04:07 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

well start with the basic stuff -- compression test will confirm a little about the engines condition - and then you will have a starting point - is the motor good or not -- joihnjzjz

Old 10-14-2013 | 01:35 AM
Cory81
|
Cruiser

Motors good its only got about 6 hundred miles on it. I did a compression test pushin 125

Old 10-14-2013 | 02:32 AM
Cory81
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
well start with the basic stuff -- compression test will confirm a little about the engines condition - and then you will have a starting point - is the motor good or not -- joihnjzjz
Tomorrow I'm goin to see if my valves need adjustments. Im tryin simple easy things shops want 65-85 an hour can't afford it right now. I checked ignition and wires to coil changed battery pretty much all the simple stuff is coming to the end lol

Old 10-14-2013 | 10:52 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Cory, in the main General Chat section you mentioned it "sat for a couple of years". If so one of the first things I would recommend is to drain the tanks, pull them and flush them. Is your fuel filter an "in-line" or is it part of the shut-off valve. Part of your shut off valve is just cleaning the creen; an "in-line" has an arrow point the cvorrect way to have it installed. At any rate change that paper element out with a new one.

Old 10-14-2013 | 01:38 PM
Cory81
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Cory, in the main General Chat section you mentioned it "sat for a couple of years". If so one of the first things I would recommend is to drain the tanks, pull them and flush them. Is your fuel filter an "in-line" or is it part of the shut-off valve. Part of your shut off valve is just cleaning the creen; an "in-line" has an arrow point the cvorrect way to have it installed. At any rate change that paper element out with a new one.
I replaced the filter. Today when I get off work I'm goin to pull the push rods and adjust my vavles other then that I'm gonna just have to take it in I think just 85 an hour can come out to a night mare

Old 11-04-2013 | 01:43 AM
Cory81
|
Cruiser

So I had someone look at it today come to find out my pushrod popped out it was my intake rod. Readjustment and now runs perfect. Just wish I knew what caused this

Old 11-04-2013 | 07:42 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cory81
So I had someone look at it today come to find out my pushrod popped out it was my intake rod. Readjustment and now runs perfect. Just wish I knew what caused this
when a bike sits - tin shed out side - in an unheated garage - well all the oil goes down hill and the rings, valves, guides, rocker arms are as dry as a popcorn fart

so something sticking is what happened - i am not sure how you came to get the correct compression when you did the test, but with an old stock pan nothing should have hit anything so you might be ok - if you put it up again marvil mystry oil is your friend before and after -- johnjzjz