Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

'65 FL - Stripped inner primary threads

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 PM
sixty5pan
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '65 FL - Stripped inner primary threads

Hey guys,
I'm new here and have a little problem with my '65 Panhead. The threads are stripped on the inner primary where the starter solenoid bolts on, the top hole. Do you think the best repair is a helicoil kit? Or will just a 1/4" longer bolt work? I just wasn't sure if I could use a little longer of a bolt for now, without jacking something else up. Thanks for your time.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

helicoil..a longer bolt might catch 2-3 threads but it will pull out sooner then later..could crack the primary in the process..you might be able to find a replacement inner primary instead..

Last edited by j1mmy; 09-01-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,519 Posts

Best repair is to take off the inner primary, fill hole and then re-drill, next option would be to use a heli-coil. Third would be to try and use a longer bolt (may or may not hold though).

Never seen a "cheap" genny inner primary.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 PM
sixty5pan
6th Gear

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I'm gonna try to use a longer bolt and a little loctite just to get through till winter, then I'll do a heli-coil fix.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:10 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

That isn't going to end well , but it's your bike .

Old 09-01-2011, 09:58 AM
sixty5pan
6th Gear

Hey TwiZted,
What do you mean? Do you think by using a longer bolt temporarily will jack something up? So, lay it on me, dude, I really don't want to jack my bike up, and I don't want to ghetto fix it either, just a time issue right now. If it's something I need to address pronto, I'll do it.
Thanks much.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by sixty5pan
Hey TwiZted,
What do you mean? Do you think by using a longer bolt temporarily will jack something up? So, lay it on me, dude, I really don't want to jack my bike up, and I don't want to ghetto fix it either, just a time issue right now. If it's something I need to address pronto, I'll do it.
Thanks much.
What happens best case is all the threads pull out of the hole , worse case it lets the solenoid **** a bit and either crack the hole or pops a chunk off completely it's thin on a corner It can also hang the starter fully engaged and grinding till you pull a battery cable . Not getting the solenoid down tight can cause the bendix to skip out and grind on you or hang in engaged . I've had or repaired for somebody every one of these problems a few times .

You have a 65 so busting something isn't a cheap option to repair , if you have a better old parts supply or swap meets that aren't a hustlers gang bang like out here on the west coast you may find another , used here starts at $300 and trashed ons pull $100 or more .

Those holes are about 7/8" deep but threaded only 5/8" or a shade over . 2 ways to go , helicoil it and you can do it on the bike but you need a real steady hand and a good eye for straight a kit can be had for around $20 or so . Second option is borrow or buy 2 1/4" taps one plug point the other a bottoming tap and chase the threads to the bottom of the hole and use a stud not a bolt so you bottom it out in the hole , only need 10-12 lbs of torque on it don't be heavy handed a Harbor Freight 1/4 or 3/8" torque wrench could be a good buddy to have they are cheap on sale .You should get at least a 1/4" to a good 3/8" thread that way using a 1-3/4" or 2" stud and bit of locktite till you can pull it and get it fixed proper .

Most the time it takes just as long if not longer to ghetto rig something as it does to do right . Watched guys waste a day and half dicking with something rigging it trying to save $20 that could have been done in 2 hours for $25 just pulling it and doing it right .

If you do the tap trick run the stud down for a test fit if it's good a drop of red locktite and let it sit over night should do you fine and just a little heat to remove the stud later .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 09-01-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:34 AM
sixty5pan
6th Gear

Hey TwiZted,
I really appreciate you taking the time and giving me a schoolin' about this little problem. The reason I found that the bolt was stripped was because the solenoid stayed engaged one time when starting. I bought this bike about a month ago and I'm still in the 'getting to know' stage if you know what I mean. So while removing the solenoid it was pretty obvious the bolt was stripped. So maybe that's what caused the solenoid to stay engaged in the first place. My solenoid plunger had some major grooves inside, so I was thinking that was the cause of the over-extended starter engagement thing.
Although I generally use the kick, I want everything on my bike to work right. Another symptom I'm having that may be related is sometimes when I hit the starter switch, I just get that sad click, like not enough juice to turn her over. I checked the battery and removed and cleaned every connection, so unless it's some sort of intermittent switch or battery issue, would a mis-aligned solenoid cause this also?
I just received a solenoid and a plunger kit so I plan on jumping into this right away. I'm also gonna grab a heli-coil kit to do the threads.
Again, thanks much for your time.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 PM
generatorshovel
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sixty5pan,
you might consider a keensert instead of a helicoil. you'll be able to use standard size taps to complete the fix. imho a better fix.